Gymnastics`

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting Gymnastics all weekend. It's my first experience shooting Gymnastics. I have fast glass and a gripped D300, but my question is on monopod. Do most photogs shoot with a monopod doing gymnastics? Is it even possible to use a monopod shooting gymnastics?

I wouldn't bother.

If you're stopping action, you're shooting fast enough to prevent blur. This is of course assuming you're not slapping some obscene of glass on the D300....

I just didn't know if it were possible. Like I said I've never shot Gymnastics. I guess I'll take it and see.

I just didn't know if it were possible. Like I said I've never shot Gymnastics. I guess I'll take it and see.

Better to have it and not need it....

After 8 to 10 hours of shooting, it could be a godsend.

Noticed you are in Cinci...where / what are you shooting?

Just googled it. Looks like you should be able to do a LOT of shooting there. Are you just doing the gymnastics? Probably get some nice shots from the martial arts & weight lifting as well. I imagine some humorous shots from the trampoline....

I did have a good laugh, though. One of the events is "American Cornhole".....I won't go any farther with THAT one...:lol:

I am no pro, but based on the how heavy the equipments are and the time you spend to take the pictures .... I would rather have one.

Yeah the gymnastics is the assignment. I can't wait, should be a lot of fun.

Sounds fun. Yeah, I would definitely have the mono with me. You could relax sitting on the floor and have the camera on the pod...kinda like you see at the sidelines of NFL games and the like.

Bring it... even if you don't use it (which I think you will), it's like a condom... better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one... lol. At worst, attach a string to it and sling it over your shoulder when you are not needing it, but want it close.

Five points:
- Check your white balance OFTEN or shoot in RAW and relax/forget about it.

- Use fast glass and crank the ISO and go for at least 1/320th or 1/500th and faster shutter speeds.

- For longer areas of movement (where the athletes will cover larger areas like floor exercises), set focus to continual, otherwise single focus for other areas.

- Use center weighted exposure, seems to work better for my D200 and D700 in these kinds of situations. Don't be afraid to change the fixed location of the focus points based on whatever composition you want to accomplish.

- Leave the flash at home. The last thing you want to do is blind an athlete as they are half way through a rotation and 6 feet in the air (bet you knew that one.... lol).

Don't use one for shooting. If you have one with a quick release head for rest between events, use it, otherwise, you will need as much mobility as they have.:wink:

Bring it... even if you don't use it (which I think you will), it's like a condom... better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one... lol. At worst, attach a string to it and sling it over your shoulder when you are not needing it, but want it close.

Five points:
- Check your white balance OFTEN or shoot in RAW and relax/forget about it.

- Use fast glass and crank the ISO and go for at least 1/320th or 1/500th and faster shutter speeds.

- For longer areas of movement (where the athletes will cover larger areas like floor exercises), set focus to continual, otherwise single focus for other areas.

- Use center weighted exposure, seems to work better for my D200 and D700 in these kinds of situations. Don't be afraid to change the fixed location of the focus points based on whatever composition you want to accomplish.

- Leave the flash at home. The last thing you want to do is blind an athlete as they are half way through a rotation and 6 feet in the air (bet you knew that one.... lol).

I knew I could count on you for tips. :D I'm shooting for a photog company out of Michigan that was hired to do this entire event. They contacted me about shooting for them, so I'm not doing any of the editing and I'm pretty sure they want jpegs. I plan on doing a custom WB when I get there and of course I will check it often. They have 5 or 6 different "gyms" set up so I'll be in different lighting throughout the day.

Most reactions

Back