Had my eye on this for a while...

hesaias

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
And I finally got up the courage to take the pic as I was on the way to work. I needed to go by at the right time of day, and the overcast sky was a plus.

Its the first photo I saw before I took it, if you get my meaning. Any thoughts?

farmhouseW.jpg

Yep - that's a beautiful landscape! :D I can see why you wanted to shoot it. I'd crop out some of that sky; it's nice enough but doesn't particularly add anything to the image. Little tighter crop and you have a winner. Nice job!

Tighter all around, or just topside? I have a tendancy to make my phoos as square as possible, I dunno why. I guess long rectangular pics look odd to me.

Nope, just topside. Just slice a little off of the sky. There is more information in the foreground that adds to the warmth of the image, so I'd let that stay.

So, you like the look of square format?? Are you shooting in MF or 35? Maybe you're meant for those 6x6's!! :D

I shoot 35 and Digital, but most of my crops tend to go squarish. I have tons of old kodak prints that are 3x3 or 4x4 I think. Maybe its nostalgia :D

I like what I see at this point, wonderfully crisp and clear, nice!

I really like the way that the trees frame in the house and the grass in front of it. :D

However I think the picture could have been a lot more dramatic if the house was not centered in the picture.

Have you ever heard of the thirds rule? If not you should look it up as it really adds to pictures. If this is close by I would really like to see some more, perhaps with the house 1/3 from the top and position yourself lower to the ground when you take it. I wouldn't go any closer though. I also wonder what it would be like with house at the left 1/3 if there is interesting things off to the right that we do not see here.

Don't be afraid to look rediculous, that is half the fun.

Take this as a compliment because you really have caught my interest with this one. I would just like to see more and really encourage you to be creative with this.

Seeing the picture before it is shot just means you are getting better at this and letting your mind be creative :!:

Great Job! :!:

Yeah, Ive heard the 3rds rule. My camera even has a 3rds overlay in the viewfinder if I tell it too!

I can take a many more, as its on the way to work. I saw another old farmhouse on the way today with an old gnarly tree beside it. I might shoot a few Megs this weekend if.

BTW, Thanks for the tips ;)

I'll try to nix the powerlines too.

farmhouse2W.jpg

Some different cropping. Couldnt get rid of the powerlines to suit, so I left 'em.

Voodoocats crop is an improvement but there's still something about that first one I prefer but what the heck, I'm an awkward cuss anyhow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back