Hadrians Wall

KenCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.takingthepic.com
(Snip)
Hadrian's Wall, ancient Roman wall, 73.5 mi (118.3 km) long, across the narrow part of the island of Great Britain from Wallsend on the Tyne River to Bowness at the head of Solway Firth. It was mainly built from c.A.D. 122 to 126 under Emperor Hadrian and was extended by Emperor Severus a century later. The wall demarcated the northern boundary and defense line of Roman Britain. Fragments of the wall, 6 ft (1.8 m) high and 8 ft (2.4 m) thick, and many of the “mile stations” (stone blockhouses along the wall constructed every Roman mile) remain. Hadrian's Wall, which has been preserved, is one of the largest and most significant remains of the Roman occupation.

Hadrians-Wall-3a.jpg

Hadrians-Wall-6a.jpg

C&C Welcome.
TFL.
Ken.

i very much like the first one. it gives you a feeling of the wall itself and how it runs through the countryside.

the second one is more of a pure landscape shot .. not bad in itself, but just not really a Hadrian's wall photography ... if you know what I mean.

been there myself about 2 years ago
, did some crappy shots which i will post later ... i like yours more though ;)

I like #1 as well. Although you mentioned it's a Roman wall, but the setting is so typically English. (Compare this with the Roman wall in Girona in Spain, for example.) The cloudy sky is wonderful, it really sets the mood.

great shots ken... very nicely composed :thumbup:

Excellent. Like the colors and detail.

Both are just perfect. Cant even pick a favorite.

Love #1. I'd buy it!

Things like this make you wonder what people in the future will find of ours in centuries to come. :)

great shots ken, I love them both! it's fun to read some of the stats and history too! tfs! :thumbup:

Brilliant photos, well done. Interesting read on the history as well, thanks.

The first shot in my opinion is perfect. I love the colors and varied light of the rolling hills. I also find the subject fascinating, very well captured. Thanks for the history. :thumbup:

Thanks very much for the comments, much appreciated. The second shot was just to show the wall in context to the landscape and the fact it is 73 miles long.
JenniferLynn84 said:
Love #1. I'd buy it!
Sooooo...where should I send it to? :sexywink:
Thanks very much once again.
Ken.

Excellent stuff Ken. What a cool history behind this wall. Really dig the first shot.

I recognise the second shot, I was there about 2 years ago - my photos were pretty crappy though given that it was New Years eve and the weather was about as dark and miserable as it could get and bloody freezing!

My mate has a B&B back down on the main road just west of the pub.

Great shots - I'll have to go back up there when the sun is shining!

Most reactions

Back