Hair across the face

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ericonoahu, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ericonoahu

ericonoahu TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    With the understanding that everyone should "do their own thing" or "find their own voice" to some extent, I request your personal likes and dislikes on this.

I'm talking as little as a hair or few, or entire locks.

For example:

[​IMG]

That's no glamour shot. Its not fashion. It won't sell makeup. I wasn't going for that. That said, are the stray locks around her eyes and forehead a big problem for you? How about the few individuals near the mouth?

I shoot outdoors mostly. Some of my shots of people with long hair the breeze will catch it and blow it across their face. A lot of times I love the look of this so don't go to great lengths to prevent it.

Does anyone feel "no hair on the face" is one of those rules like "don't cut off hands and feet" that should be followed to the greatest extent possible? Or is it more like one of those things without a rule and entirely depends on what the photographer wants?

Maybe this was more a C&C post - apologies if that's the case.

2. timlair

timlair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like it. It gives it more of an authentic look than a Photoshop look. But if you were to edit out some, I'd say get rid of whats on her cheek on the right side of her face.

3. DanFinePhotography

DanFinePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its a nice portrait. The hair looks natural. If anything a touch overexposed but nothing that couldn't be remedied in a little PP :thumbup:

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would prefer to see it without the strands around her mouth, the others are fine for a nicely executed casual portrait.

5. ericonoahu

ericonoahu TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree - definitely not finished with this one. Seems those individual strands just make it look messy.

Agreed again. Thanks for that.

Thanks... I was a little conflicted on those but you guys have tipped me. I think hairs near the mouth are going to be a problem almost always as are individual stray strands. Great responses and feedback so far - it has helped me solidify my thinking on this. Much appreciated.