elrafo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
el-rafo.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi there!

I own a nice Rollei 35 Made in germany, everything was ok since my last 3 films...
I have a stange blue/white stretched glow/halo on my pictures, even on the negative, always appearing in the same position, even if I have the sun in my back!
I thought It could be light infiltration in my body but I am not sure with it... it is not appearing in all my photos, but very frequently!
I'll post this evening some scans, but did you experiment such a strange thing with this kind of cameras?
I'm a bit disapointed caus I love this camera, the pictures are so sharp but this kind of glow is Art killing!

elrafo said:
hi there!

I own a nice Rollei 35 Made in germany, everything was ok since my last 3 films...
I have a stange blue/white stretched glow/halo on my pictures, even on the negative, always appearing in the same position, even if I have the sun in my back!
I thought It could be light infiltration in my body but I am not sure with it... it is not appearing in all my photos, but very frequently!
I'll post this evening some scans, but did you experiment such a strange thing with this kind of cameras?
I'm a bit disapointed caus I love this camera, the pictures are so sharp but this kind of glow is Art killing!

One thing to check is the back door seal. Sometimes it degrades to the point where light leaks in. One way to chek this is to shoot a roll of film while you have some heavy duty tape (black duck tape would be good) around the door seams and anywhere else where light might seep through. I'm pretty sure the camera and the lens are ok.

here is the artefact:

PaulCuba2.jpg

No, it is not the seal. For that to show on a picture it would have to be around the edges somewhere.

It can be something like a faulty shutter which doesn't stay closed when you wind the film. It looks like there might be a speck of light reaching the film for a short time when you wind up. Also, it's worth checking inside the camera to see whether you might have a chip of film lost somewhere and acting like a mirror, reflecting onto film some light. I'd start with doing a visual check on that Rollei, particularly around the film chamber. Look for debris in there. Let me know if you find any and we'll take it from there.

hi!

I checked in the camera but didn't find anything like you were talking about...
I'm embarrassed, what kind of test could I do instead of paying 100CAD for a rollei check??

raf

I would run a test with a roll of black and white 400ASA, since it's more sensitive to light leaks. A 36 exposure test would run like this:

1) Face camera away from any light sources (sun, reflections) and shoot 8 frames with different apertures/shutter speeds while recording each exposure.

2) Face the camera so the light sources are coming from the Right, follow the same procedure as above.

3) Face the camera so the light sources are coming from the Left, follow the same procedure as above.

4) Put some heavy duty black duck tape around the door seams of the camera and shoot in the same manner as 1).

5) For the last 4-5 frames left take the tape off and shoot something like a gray card (18% reflectiveness) at the same aperture, probably f8 or f11.

Now develop and see what frames have the band of light and what frames don't have it. Based on that we can learn where the light bands come from. Remember to write down every exposure. Let me know when you ran the test.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back