"Halos" around subjects?

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by kyl3e, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kyl3e

kyl3e TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What is the actual term for the halo effects in this photo, and what causes it? I know it happens in PP, but is it from too much dodge/burn or what? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about a name for it, but it is often a function of over-sharpening in pp.

3. marp

marp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These seem to be from over-sharpening. You can also get similar when stacking more images (like when creating a panorama), when they are not perfectly aligned (or the subject moved between the two shots).

If you want to avoid them in sharpening, use smaller radius, or amount of sharpening (if you use unsharp mask).

4. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Halos can also be created by interpolation of the image.

5. invisible

invisible Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I get the halos when darkening highlights using the quick-fix menu on Photoshop Elements 5.

6. mar1u5

mar1u5 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HDR used incorrectly also gives you halos.

7. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Or a bad HDR program. Or ghosting. Bah. I hate wrestling with HDR for those reasons. Grrr.

8. mar1u5

mar1u5 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HDR is photographic cancer that's mostly used by beginners with no sense or talent to try and make their turd shine.

9. BoostedHoo

BoostedHoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    whoa harsh... i agree that most HDR are waaay over done and are indeed crap. but used sparingly i think it can have some value

10. mar1u5

mar1u5 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sure. But that's mostly not how you see HDR beeing used. And there are examples of heavily processed HDR pictures that look fantastic. But mostly I see beginners with less sense than a dog eating its own feces trying to make that turd taste like a chocolate cake by applying as much HDR as possible.

But we're moving really off topic here :lol:

11. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I feel that there are two errors in the analogy. One, "cancer" is universally evil and the photographic technique refered to is not. Something more like a benificial drug that can also be abused would be a better comparison. I do agree that the fad of overly processed grungy and ugle "HDR" images has spread like a cancer. It seems to be the first trick that the artistically impaired grab to give their otherwise boring images some attention getting attribute. I have seen "overdone" "HDR" used creatively, but in my opinion 99.8% out their are junk.

Two, HDR is not the evil at all. What is evil in the "ugly, grungy" (my personal opinion) "HDR" images is not really HDR, its the Tone Mapping that is necessary to reduce a true HDR image (48 bit per pixel) to a viewable and printable 8 bit per pixel image without producing a bland, flat image.

Tone Mapping, whether done on a true HDR composited image or a plain single image, can be benificial (benificial drug used properly) and can produce image characteristics that look odd (same drug, abused). The halo seen in the OP's image results from some excessively applied setting. In Photoshop's simple Shadow/Highlight adjustment, setting the Radius setting to wide will make these halos larger and more noticable.

12. johngpt

johngpt No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Halo is the term commonly used for this.

It often occurs following excessive religious indulgence. :mrgreen:

Just kidding.

As everyone above has mentioned, all over processing can create a halo. It will tend to occur at the edges of extreme contrast. Sharpening enhances edge contrast to give the illusion of greater sharpness, so halo-ing is common when an image is over sharpened. But any over processing can create it.

To fix it, we can avoid over processing. Or we can add a layer mask to that layer, and paint along the halo line to diminish the processing effect locally, and allow it to be seen where it doesn't appear over processed.