LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
U-Bahnhof_HH-Hbf-Nord1.jpg

This is the widest my kit lens can go. After I've seen photos by Tony (tempra) of the underground stations in Hamburg (he took his during the meet-up) I knew I had to try and do wide angle shots there, too. But my kit lens is limiting... Anyhow, you think this one works?

And the bluish-green tint?

Personally i think the tint is cool, literally, i like it.. it suits the cold empty space. The more i look at it the more it works for me, like the calm before the storm.. i'm just waiting for hundreds of folk so swamp the place any second.

sorry can't really give you any critique, that's just my thoughts! :)

That works nicely. The absence of anything in the immediate foreground gives a great sense of space and hurries the eye to the detail beyond. The reflective surfaces work well in monochrome, and the tint is just fine. I'd probably make the walls on the right of the image as vertical as those on the left :)

Regards, Tony

Hi Corrina

May I sugest you import that into either Photoshop or Helicon Filter and staighten the horizon and correct the barrel distortion. You might also like to burn in the periphery a bit to lead the eye in more easily

Cheers
Dean

The color tone is working on this one Corinna. It does emote such a feeling of emptiness and inactivity.

The diagonal lines of the fluorescent lighting of the ceiling crossing the floor tiles that run parallel with the long wall is very interesting.

While living in the UK, I felt much like those three passengers trying to figure out either the correct pass to purchase or studying the map wondering where the hell I'm at. :lol:

Although the column of the left looks perfectly vertical, if you look dead center at the frame of the maps (right of the middle column), there is a slight clockwise tilt that accentuates the further you look to the right.

Nicely done nonetheless.

I like the image, but agree with the comment about perspective correction. Out of curiosity, why not re-shoot and do a two image pan of this scene? Judging by what is seen here, I think that would make for a really powerful image.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Barrel distortion, that is something I still have to live with (and I knew I would when I took the photo), since my PS 6.0-version still does not offer me the necessary means to correct those lines.

I went back to the converted first photo and found out that I hadn't done ANYTHING to any lines, it was still the original file size. I am sure I went by the line on the pillar on the left as the one to "guide me into not getting a tilt". (The inclined lines on the right are barrel distortion, of course).

Now that you mention a tilt, I went back and "measured" it by throwing the "crop line" around some part and this is the result:

047totalcrop.jpg

For one who once was notorious for her frightfully inclined photos (ask my sister! She knows!!! She kept pointing that out to me all the time), I lined this up pretty well, hm :wink:

Hey, glad to hear you like my choice of very cool (colourwise) tint to this conversion. The colour version (of which you now see only a small part) is fairly boring in comparison.

I've never been in a subway before, but I get the same feel from it as I think I would from the real thing. I think you did a great job with this photo. I think what makes it work best for me is the cold blue tone and how you made the ceiling seem so low with the wide angle.

Thank you for letting me comment on your photo, Corinna. It helps me learn how to compose a photo of my own when you let me see what makes your photo work. :)

BTW, is that a pretty frau (?) to the left I see? If so, we need more photos of her :)

Weeeelll, it's not that I could be entirely sure this photo'd work. Which is why I put it out, asking if it'd work. I had the feeling that out of the three or four photos I took while Heike was getting our tickets and explaining to the other tourist how the ticket machine works this one might work best. But I also had the feeling that its effect could be enhanced by a conversion into black and white, but then the pure black and white still wasn't as appealing to me, so I added a bit of blue, but that was too "metallic" in the end, hence the smidge of green. Those combined gave me the feeling of "cool" (not as in "wow cool!" but as in "cool -> impersonal, detached).

Looks good to me Corinna, with regard to the distortion, I think that it can add to quite a lot of photos rather than detract from them, as it looks different than a straight shot at 50mm or whatever.

I suppose you need to decide if the image is simply a document of whats there, or a feeling that you wish to convey - and as has been previously stated, it conveys a feeling of emptiness and loneliness -my wife hates those sort of photos, but I think they're great!

Well, as you could read in my introductory post, it were YOUR wide-angle photos that you took in the Hamburg Underground stations that made me wish I had an even WIDER angle than the kit lens offers me, for I was inspired to take these through YOUR photos which I had seen in the Meet-Up thread. And my intention on that Saturday afternoon was to captured the width (as much as I could, was too little for my liking, I must admit), and the emptiness.

The colour version did not quite meet my requirements, hence the conversion and "cool colouration".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back