Hamilton Bulldogs game

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by Hoser, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Hoser

Hoser TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Went to the local AHL game and tried to see what I could do. I was in a not so good spot for taking pics, but I tried as best to deal with where I was seated. 19 rows up in the corner, so I had to deal with the mesh, and the glass. Critique at your will as these are the best 3 of the 15 or so I took without having to do any fixing in Photoshop. Unfortunately I don't have a fast enough lens to up the shutter speed without losing a lot of light, so I had to play with the ISO settings and hope for the best. Here's the results.......

First shot is of Sergei Kostitsyn going into a rush. this was taken with a Sigma 70-300mm. Click the picture for EXIF.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scramble for the puck in front of the net. Again taken with the Sigma lens mentioned above. Click the picture for EXIF.
    [​IMG]

For this shot I used the 18-70mm lens that came with the camera. (Sony Alpha 300) Click the photo for EXIF.
    [​IMG]

Don't be shy....let me know how I did, and what I can do to improve. Besides spending $2k on a faster zoom lens that is. :wink:

2. polymoog

polymoog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you did a good job considering the conditions :) I have that lens as well (Sigma 70-300), really not the best for high speed sport ;) But as you can see, it can get the job done.

At that distance even an external flash probably wouldn't help (and they might not be allowed..) , however I see you shot at ISO 800, don't be afraid to try ISO 1600 if you have it, the pics will be a bit noisy but there are many good plugins for eliminating that, Noiseware for example is excellent and is available freeware as a standalone program or you can buy it as a plugin for Photoshop.

3. Hoser

Hoser TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got that lens because the 70-210 beercan I had just wasn't enough zoom for most things I want to shoot. I know it's not ideal for stuff like this, but I'll deal with it.

Yeah, I figured an external would be useless because of the distance, and I didn't want to chance getting kicked out for using a flash. I was skeptical to go over ISO 800 because of the noise, but I'll check out that Noiseware you mentioned and I think I read somewhere in here about a program called Noise Ninja.

Thanx for the feedback.....I appreciate it.:wink:

4. Snapsh0t

Snapsh0t TPF Noob!

very cool shots.

5. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hate that mesh.....grrrrrrrrrr.....:x