Hamilton Pool Reserve

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think I should officially be locked up in the looney ward. Yesterday, I drove 4 hours followed by 1.5 hrs of hiking in 97 degrees to take a couple of pictures and then get back in my car and drive 4 hours back.

This is the Hamilton Pool Preserve, located south of Austin. The pics of the grotto are the hardest pictures I have tried to take. The inside of the grotto is barely lit, while the outside is in full open sun. My camera only brackets 3 shots, so I had to manually take from 5-7 on these first two. The rest of the bracketed shots were only 3 (the trail shots aren't HDR).

Anyway, here they are. I tried not to over-bake them too much, but it was really hard in post processing too!

1) (7 exposures, but got cloud movement)
360731199_Btfs2-L-4.jpg

2. (5 exposures)
360731015_DftFF-L-4.jpg

3. back of the grotto:
360730822_xVQtw-L-4.jpg

4. roof of the grotto
360731697_eR92T-L-4.jpg

5. trails on the way
360733170_Pu5JU-L-4.jpg

6. more trails
360725255_H9Yh5-L-5.jpg

Last edited:
Photo number 1 is probably worth the 8 hours driving and all the hiking in the heat. The light is just perfect ant the colours bright without being saturated or HDR-overdone. I don't think the cloud movement conspires against the quality of the final product, at all.

I assume you shot it with your Tokina lens, no? Very, very nice capture.

Great shots!!

You didn't overdo the HDR at all, which is great!!

They look great! sweet processing

Photo number 1 is probably worth the 8 hours driving and all the hiking in the heat. The light is just perfect ant the colours bright without being saturated or HDR-overdone. I don't think the cloud movement conspires against the quality of the final product, at all.

I assume you shot it with your Tokina lens, no? Very, very nice capture.

thank you and yes they were with the tokina lens.

Great shots!!

You didn't overdo the HDR at all, which is great!!

I reprossesed the first 2 four times before I was finally convinced they were as good as I could make them!
They look great! sweet processing
Thank you :)

I LOVE #1. Perfect in every way. Wish I had someplace around here like that. Nice job.:thumbup::thumbup:

Very nice, particularly number one. I remember Hamilton Pool well from my years in Austin. You captured it well.

Wow, you did a hell of a job on these, and yeah... I can tell some of them were really tough.

I think you might have been a little heavy-handed in PP... oversharpened I think? Maybe a touch too much contrast, but that's debatable.

EDIT: btw, I think the colors may be off a hair on the first few... a bit yellow maybe?

Regardless, these look amazing. This has to be one of the more interesting places I have ever seen a picture of- totally amazing. That was WELL worth the trip. A very big :thumbup:!

I LOVE #1. Perfect in every way. Wish I had someplace around here like that. Nice job.:thumbup::thumbup:
Well, it certainly wasn't around where I live. Austin is beautiful. The most I can say about DFW is that I am getting good at shooting buildings. :lol:

Very nice, particularly number one. I remember Hamilton Pool well from my years in Austin. You captured it well.
Thank you. I had never heard of it until an aquaintenance emailed me about it to give ideas for a place to shoot.

Wow, you did a hell of a job on these, and yeah... I can tell some of them were really tough.

I think you might have been a little heavy-handed in PP... oversharpened I think? Maybe a touch too much contrast, but that's debatable.

EDIT: btw, I think the colors may be off a hair on the first few... a bit yellow maybe?

Regardless, these look amazing. This has to be one of the more interesting places I have ever seen a picture of- totally amazing. That was WELL worth the trip. A very big :thumbup:!

I didn't sharpen them, but I see what you are talking about. I think its just the HDR with so many layers. I even painted back in the original in areas to try to help with it. There is also a lot of yellow in them, but it seemed to look better that way. I may try it again later and see what I get.

^^ oh I didn't realize these were HDRs. Nice job! Those have to be the best HDRs I've ever seen... because I had absolutely no idea it was an HDR! Guess I should read more carefully next time. :lol:

I was wondering how the heck you got that exposed. :lol:

Lynnca, don't pay attention to anything manaheim says about yellow casts. He sees yellow issues in every photo. A few weeks ago he told me he was going to have his eyes recalibrated, but it's apparent he hasn't yet :lol:

^^ oh I didn't realize these were HDRs. Nice job! Those have to be the best HDRs I've ever seen... because I had absolutely no idea it was an HDR! Guess I should read more carefully next time. :lol:

I was wondering how the heck you got that exposed. :lol:

Wow, thanks :) They have to be HDRs because from the back of the cave where I was standing is completely dark when exposed for the sky. I searched the internet all over before going for pics and there are only a few successful ones out there because of the conditions.

Lynnca, don't pay attention to anything manaheim says about yellow casts. He sees yellow issues in every photo. A few weeks ago he told me he was going to have his eyes recalibrated, but it's apparent he hasn't yet :lol:

:lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

WOW, 1 and 2 are my favorites, that place looks really amazing, it was worth the long trip

Most reactions

Back