Hamster lens

I had to put my camera in [P] mode in order to pick the spot my camera focuses on. That as i understand it lets me pick the ISO. I am really not comfortable with messing with the ISO as of this moment, because i don't understand what ISO to pick for the situation i want. I am only comfortable with full auto mode at this moment, but i do want to be able to pick what spot to focus on.

you can go to the shooting menus and turn auto ISO on. it will default to the one selected (use 100) then pick it for you, set it to like max 1200 or 1600. That pretty much makes it just like auto mode at this point, with the spot focusing.

All of this information was indeed on the camera and i've set them to your suggested 100 to 1600. On the display when i want to take the picture it tells me that ISO is on Auto. Just next to the Auto it always says 1600 ISO. I've tried taking a picture in a darker room and in a light room, the ISO still says 1600 but the pictures taken do look pretty good. I don't know if the camera adjusts the ISO without mentioning it on the back display or not?

you can go to the shooting menus and turn auto ISO on. it will default to the one selected (use 100) then pick it for you, set it to like max 1200 or 1600. That pretty much makes it just like auto mode at this point, with the spot focusing.

Here are a couple of examples take with lights on and off.

Without flash, lights off.
$itPVtkqvXDq52.jpg

Without flash, lights on.
$iwDi5p2ZWKFej.jpg

With flash, lights off.
$i5VZiyItiuOon.jpg

With flash, lights on.
$iz0RpD5wMv5zZ.jpg

I just read through this whole thread and became very frustrated.
The whole purpose of asking a question is to get an answer. You've gotten many. Now the work begins.
Understanding a camera is #1.
The whole point of owning a dslr is to take great pictures. Although on auto, it will take better pictures than a p+s, it is a computer and will not always do things correctly. This is why one must understand how and why a camera does something. Understanding the exposure triangle is key.
Putting the camera is auto will not allow you to pick your autofocus point. This will cause issues. It may focus on the correct point, it may not. If YOU tell the camera how to focus, it will focus correctly, unless you make a mistake.
Don't be scared to take your camera off of auto. You bought it to take good pictures. So learn how to use it, advice is only as good if you can use it.

I'm not very familiar with the Nikon system, so bear with me.

Are you using a tripod?
Are you using live view?
Are you using continuous focus?
Back up! With a D3200 you have a lot of MP, you can drop down to 4MP and still have a good quality image. Unless you are making a billboard, which I doubt.
You can crop A LOT.

Back up.
Play with your ISO.
Play with your shutter speed.
Play with your aperture.
If you don't have an off camera flash consider moving light towards the subject, a lamp. Hopefully it's not an incredible warm/cold.
Open blinds/curtains.

Again, I have to reiterate. Learn your camera. If you learn how to use 10% of what your camera can do, you CAN accomplish the picture you want. You have a subject who doesn't require pay, take advantage of it. Shooting digital is cheap! Take lots of pictures. Report back.

Hold your horses there cowboy. This whole process isn't as self explanatory as you think it is. I've just learned to get my focus right some of the time and i'm not so naive to assume that i've gotten it down. Though i do appreciate your concern, i am learning things on my own pace.

I love this thread!

Eagerly awaiting the next hamster picture with the new found [P] mode and higher ISO.

PS... My i also suggest changing your Focus Mode (AF Area Mode) to Dynamic Area (the [-o-] icon). Maybe even try the 3D-Tracking Focus Mode.

Seems that the only solution to compensate for the hams speed was to adjust my shutter speed. That's what you need to do when your target is too fast.

Most reactions

Back