handle for Nikon SB-xxx flashes?

molsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a handle I can get (or possibly make) for Nikon SB-xxx flashes? I want to either use wireless triggers or an extension cord and then be able to hold my flash at different angles. I do lots of even photography, and usually a straight-on flash isn't the best option.

Or am I better off getting an older and cheaper flash with a handle and no TTL capabilities and just using manual? I use manual flash half the time anyways...

The cheapest handle I have found yet. By turning the flash head or my wrist, most any angle I want can be attained.

DSC_0978_web-1.jpg

:lmao:

I use a Stroboframe Quickflip 350. Usually bracketed to the camera as it's meant to be ... but sometimes held at arm's length. Or higher or lower, or whatever.

Cable is a Nikon SC28 which stretches comfortable at least the length of my arm. I'm sure you could do the same with just about any brand bracket.

RE: cheapest handle

:lol: yea, I've considered just holding the darn thing. I'm kind of a butter-fingers type so I'm a bit worried about dropping it. But, you make a really good point - it's really easy to get any angle you want with your hand/wrist!

Also if you plan to hold it at arms-length why not just use the ttl cord?. It is alot cheaper than something like a Pocket Wizard but you can still meter TTL. You can definately get a good range with it as well.

Have you looked at a Metz 45 CL-4? The auto function is consistent and in winder mode you can get up to 5 fps @ ~20%.

They use a brand specific PC connector that you can hook up to a cheap wireless trigger of an optical slave.

They also have a secondary flash for catch lights if you are doing portraits with the main flash bounced.

You could go with a new model but a used one with extra battery pack, trigger, cable should run you around $200. Oh yeah, the guide number is 45 meters @ ISO100 if you need reach and it goes down to a whisper if that's what you need.

Ditto on the stroboframe 350... not a bad little tool. I like mine.

Most reactions

Back