handle mount flashes???

therustytracks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning on buying a canon eos 1v. I've recently fallen in love with skateboarding photography. The eos 1v can shoot up to 10fps and is an amazing film camera. Seeing as how skateboarding is obviously an action sport, my shooting times are limited by my inability to use shutter speeds fast enough to capture action at night. I've done some research and it seems as though the norm for the sport is to use sunpak 555 handle mount flashes. I would like to know how i would sync three or more of these flashes to the camera. I have no way of viewing one of these flashes in person and have little experience with handle mount flashes. Is it possible to sync 3 or more of these flashes? If so what accessories if any would i need to do this properly? any help would be appreciated greatly.

What you are describing is basically what "strobists" do with lighting. It is a long topic that is best explained in this website:

www.strobist.com

Look up the topics under Lighting 101 for an extensive and detailed answer to your question.

In short, don't get hung up on the flash model or type (handle mount for example). You want to look at the output and recycle time of a flash. 10fps isn't going to mean much if your flashes can't cycle fast enough. You will also be SOL if your flash system doesn't put out enough power. You can sync several flashes via wire, optical triggering, and wireless triggering. Among professionals, the Pocket Wizards radio based triggering system is the most popular but will cost some cash.

Be aware that flashes are nice because of their compactness and price but they do have limitations once compared to real studio strobes. The most obvious would be power.

Also... I own the 1v... great camera that is perfect for fast action.... its the ferrari of AF. Practically reads my mind and focuses right on the intended subject. Be aware that the 1v itself does not shoot at 10fps. The 1v + PB-E2 + nicad battery cartridge will get you the 10fps. You need all three to essentially become the 1vHS.

Good luck.

Also don't forget that Canon does have Wireless E-TTL with their EX line of flashes. Some like it some don't.... 580EX master with two 430EX slaves can yeild lots of possibilities. One advantage to the system is high speed sync flash.

With other flashes (like mentioned), E-TTL will not be operational and everything will have be done in full manual. In this case you'll be limited by an X-sync shutter speed of 1/250 of sec.

wow you answered all my questions perfectly. Thank you.

Most reactions

Back