Hands On Review Of The New KP

I thought the KP decked out in full regalia looked pretty futuristic and cool! IMGP7618.jpg

This camera really does look like a re-imagining of a true mid-range camera, as the write of that piece stated.

I liked the idea of the custom function 4- being reserved for Manual lens.

I often shoot my Nikons with non-CPU lenses,and it is a PITA to scroll and scroll and scroll to get the the non-CPU lens menu item, and from there to enter in the focal length and max f/stop of the lens...

MIGRATING that custom function right up to the forefront makes even more sense of Pentax users, since Pentax has a legacy of exceptional 35mm manual lenses that goes back as far as that of Nikon.

I really think the Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5 lens has exceptional bokeh..a gorgeous lens. I also like their old 200/4 Super-Takumar lens.

@Derrel The new sensor and the 5 axis caught my eye. I'm continuing to have more problems with holding things steady. I just have this feeling though that the KP is the preview for what's to come. I'm still waiting for the replacement to the K3ii.

Last edited:
Yes, I've read the same thing--that the KP is a preview, a harbinger, of what Pentx has up its corporate sleeve.

I LOOKED AT SOME OF THE I-R full-size test images: ISO 3,200 looks quite good, and 6,400 looks usable for news work. 12k and 25k would work in dire situations for some uses. The comparison with the Nikon D500 shows the Pentax is **MUCH** better at 812K ISO than the D500 is at ISO 812K, yet both are what I would call unusable for pictorial purposes. However, the fact is the Pentax has color differentiation,and some coarse details visible at 812k, but the images still look awful, whereas the Nikon is a big mass of pink-hued noise, and is well beyond "awful", and is in the downright atrocious category. Still...the Pentax KP is way better than the D500 is at this uber-ISO setting.

The difference at the highest, highest ISO setting is interesting. Is 812k "usable" in the Pentax KP? Maybe, for something like nightime police surveillance photos. Is the Nikon usable at 812k? No, not at all. Clearly garbage. Is the Pentax usable at 812k? Well...maybe for suveillance or game camera type images.

We're moving into new territory here.

We're moving into new territory here.

Every day. If they ever get it fully perfected the next big step will be to move away from the current sensor design to a memory chip design. Can you say cheap Gigabite resolution?

Love the physical appearance of that KP.

*sigh* I really really need to sell off a few cameras, especially considering that I just ordered this one...

Keep telling you @pez your're pulling the trigger to quick. Everything I'm reading says the KP is just a small preview of the replacement for the K3ii. As for selling off cameras, I have a problem of getting attached to them unless they break. LOL

Keep telling you @pez your're pulling the trigger to quick. Everything I'm reading says the KP is just a small preview of the replacement for the K3ii. As for selling off cameras, I have a problem of getting attached to them unless they break. LOL

I read the same things that you do. However, I do have a place for a quality mid-level camera- hence my two beloved K-01's, lol. I never went for a K-3ii as I already had a K-3, which I also pre-ordered... Anyway before I get another flagship crop sensor, perhaps I'll spring for a K-1 one day.

perhaps I'll spring for a K-1 one day

Now you're talking, that's the only one other than the 645z that would get me off center before the next release. However it would require a lot less "honey do's" to convince the wife I need the K-1 LOL

Most reactions

Back