Hands

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was wondering if someone could assist with composure here. I've seen this done nicely in the past, but can't recall exactly how it was composed. I'd like to do a series of my daughter with 3 or 4 pics with one being something similar to this. This is close to what I want, but not quite. And I realize that the focus is really soft in this one (f/4 1/15 iso 800) perhaps a change in the aperture to help that?
Comments?
Original Composition
HandsWeb.jpg

And this is from the re-shoot.
WebHands.jpg

You really want to have the big hand coming in from the left.
You've got it coming in from the right against the visual flow of the eye.
Try reversing the image to see if it doesn't work better like that.

And bin the frame - it's too heavy for the subject.

i think it needs more light, that also might help with the soft focus, then you wouldnt have to use such a slow shutter speed.

I've done a few of these shots, and normally focus on the baby's hand grasping onto one finger of the bigger hand. I agree with the comments about the lighting as well. Perhaps position yourself near a window to get some natural lighting. The image appears a bit grey, wihtout any true blacks or whites. It's also hard for me to determine where the baby is coming from in this shot. I would just keep trying with other positions, include the full hands, closeups of just a finger or two, etc and see what seems right to you!

Yeah, the orientiation of the photo is confusing. I cannot understand where the hands are coming from. The background, though nicely blurred, seems to distract me.

I think the second one is a big improvement! :) Still, I'd continue to try some more and, as Alison suggested, try using two fingers or just some different angles. With a big spread you're bound to come up with something you like. These are always so nice.

Nit picky time again :lol:
Try having the babies hand coming up from the bottom of frame - for the same reasons I said to have the hand coming in from the left.

Otherwise a much nicer shot.
I'd stick with reeshooting it. You'll find it gets better every time.

If you took the adult hand from the first shot and had the baby's hand from the second shot holding the adult index finger, then it would work for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back