Hanging out,any opinions.

erniehatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted this pic some time ago in the critique forum and was told it was to good for there and that it would be moved, but it never was, and was never commented on. Don't know how they can say it was to good. What are your views on it
throughframe.jpg

Another of my experiments, I really would like some critique on this, I spend a lot of time trying new ideas, but don't always know if I am on the right track. Ernie

It does not look like a photo anymore - not in any way. Is it a photo? Or rather: WAS it really a photo?

Hi Ernie,

An interesting shot for sure. I think the point Hertz was trying to make in the critique was that more information was needed to come up with something meaningful. If I know Hertz, he probably wouldn't easily succumb to saying something is too good to critique!

I like your image, and I'm sure that many more will as well. It's a good and subtle use of a photoshop filter and has worked very succesfully. At first I thought it might be crooked, but upon further inspection, it's just a slight optical illusion caused by the proximity of the leaf and flower to the edge of the frame.

I'd be tempted to crop a tiny bit off the left hand edge, I feel that there's possibly a touch too much extra space?

Other than that, it's a pretty image which would look great on the wall perhaps printed on a deep box mount with cartridge paper texture? It's certainly clean and there's an excellent use of contrasting colour both in the subject and subject vs. background.

There probably isn't a huge amount of useful critique I can add, as the image is one which will probably aesthetically please or otherwise. To be ultra-fussy, I might be tempted to suggest simplifying the centre detail and tones as the turquoise and the greens create a little bit of fussiness that might be distracting.

Good job, and keep posting.

Rob

I agree with Lafoto, it has gone beyond being a photo. Having said that, the picture is very creative and I like it a great deal. It is very well composed and the texture on it is just great. I wish I was that creative, I would frame it and hang it if it was mine.

I remember it from the critique gallery. My problem with it is I don't understand it. I thought it was a photo of a painting on a wall, and that we were seeing the texture of the wall itself. In which case it would be a nice photo of an attractive painting. But I could be completely wrong and a lot of work has gone into making it look like this. Could you tell us a bit more about what you did here Ernie?

Thanks all for the great critique. Is was a photograph to begin with, taken in my garden. I removed the background from it, leaving the flower as you see it now.I made a new layer and filled it with the present background colour, then added the texture to simulate a wall. The black frame was made on a seperate layer, placed between the background and flower layers, I reduced the opacity of the flower layer so as to see the frame, which was moved into position required, then using the eraser I brought the necessary parts of the frame though.I selected the background between the flower and frame changed the colour to green. with the flower layer I raised the contrast quite high and added another texture. Thats about the end of the storey, except to say that none of the normal painting filters were used. Ernie

Most reactions

Back