Hanging out the sunroof rolling shots

Zach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Like the title says, this was my first attempt at a rolling shot. I set up the camera and had a friend take them for me while I drove the Chevelle. I was just trying to get the technique down, so the lighting, composition, etc. wasn't that important this time around. Any suggestions?

DSC_0011-1-1.jpg

I like it, I think moving shots make for awesome photos. I would like to see what people suggest also.

you should try out the passenger window instead so youre not stooting down on the subject. the lower you can get, the better IMO.

I think the angle is spot on. Looks good.

It looks like you tried to add motion blur to the background as the blur is really heavy near the front of the car and not so much near the rear.

What are the specks of debris on the shot? There's what looks like an eyelash near the front headlight and a big speck on the road about centered and below the drivers door.

I was using shutter priority mode, would that explain the blur in the front, but not in the rear? The exif data reads: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/50 sec, f/25.

I was doing ~50mph to match the shutter speed. The specs were my fault...dirty lens. :banghead: My friend took shots out of the sunroof, passengers side window and rear hatch window, but most of them came out blury due to experience.

shoot in burst, then set your aperture and experiment with different shutter speeds till you find one you can hold. its different for different people.

Not bad for a first try, but I would suggest doing much lower shutter speeds and moving much slower. A cheap rig you could do would be to get one of those mini tripods on the roof of the "shooting car", go about 5 mph w/ both cars, and have a slower shutter speed.

I like the angle of this shot. Think I will try this from my sunroof next time.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Big, I'm currently running a built small block 400 with ~500 Hp. Once I'm out of college I'm gonna drop in a BIG BLOCK!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Big, I'm currently running a built small block 400 with ~500 Hp. Once I'm out of college I'm gonna drop in a BIG BLOCK!
Idk man, if your gettin bout 500 out of the 400, why not stick with small block? You definitely got good taste in cars... Ever drag it?

Idk man, if your gettin bout 500 out of the 400, why not stick with small block? You definitely got good taste in cars... Ever drag it?

...Because I can make more power with a big block!!! :mrgreen:

I'm happy with it for now, but after a while you get used to the power and it feels weak. It's a never ending process lol. No track times yet, but it should be good for high 11s and low 12s in the 1/4 with traction.

Last edited:

...Because I can make more power with a big block!!! :mrgreen:

I'm happy with it for now, but after a while you get used to the power and it feels week. It's a never ending process lol. No track times yet, but it should be good for high 11s and low 12s in the 1/4 with traction.
Won't argue with you there... MORE POWER!!! HEHEHE! :heart:

Most reactions

Back