Hard Decision

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was giving the opportunity to return my d5000 with both of the lens I have and get the D90. Think this is worth it?

Do you really need the upgrade right now? If so then go for it. But if that means that you'll have to give up both lenses and then get the 18-105 only, maybe you'll wish you've gotten the 55-200 and buy it again.

I don't know, I only own a d60 and I am fairly new with this. Sure, I want an upgrade like a d80 or d90 but I still have so much to learn about my d60 which is why I won't get another camera yet until I've mastered it.

If you really need the upgrade, that's entirely up to you. Then again, if you do decide to keep your d5000, then in the future when you get d90 or a better one, you won't worry about getting a back-up body if you do decide to go pro.

Well the D90 and D5000 have the same sensor so your image quality isn't going to increase. You might get a few more fancy features but not like anything major like from d5000 to d300s with better build, weather seal, more af points and stuff like that. I say keep the d5000 until later if you want to go FX or just a better DX.
TJ

Thats a nice decision to have :)
N.gif

No, the D90 will definitely not be enough.

You need to get rid of the D5000 and get yourself a D3X at the very minimum.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If your skill level warrants an upgrade, I'd wait a little while until you can get a noticable difference in the sensor quality.

Having had both of those bodies I can say it's a tough call...

D90 has a top LCD, dual command dials, commander mode, internal focus motor, 4.5 fps, etc.

D5000 has an intervalometer, tilting screen, auto rotating menus, more scene modes, etc.

Depends on which is more important to you really, image quality is great on both.

idk if my reply will help but ill try .. if i was in ur position i would get better at wat camera i have with those two lense .. and when im fully satsified with the camera i been using (example2years)and cant unlock anymore potential on it then i would go for the upgrade...

Honestly, the top lcd and dual control wheels were the sellers for me. Lets not forget about the built in AF motor on the D90. My GF wanted a D5000 but the top LCD and non AF body made her decide to get a D70 which was MUCH cheaper (granted it was used there is less that 200 shutter actuations on it) and is a great start for her. My vote is the D90 if even only for the autofocus which will save you cash down the road. Plus, the Zeikos grip is super nice:lol:

I have a D60. While I would love to upgrade to the D90 (AF motor, top LCD screen, better low light capability, bracketing) I find myself limited more by my glass than the body. Having some fast glass would help me out way more than a new body.

If you're looking to upgrade to make your kit more flashy, then get the D90. If it's for creative reasons, look at glass.

Most reactions

Back