Hard Decision

no one else? The way I see it is the d90 would last me longer.

:O iunno... i'd do it. the fact that the d90 has a focus motor in its body is enough to make me want to switch haha. just think of all the other lenses you could be using, not just AF-S lenses. plus... two control wheels and a top LCD display... so much more convenient! if the image quality is the same... i'd do it.

Here is what I decided for the none of you that care ;-). I'm going to see how much it is. And it the difference is less then 200. Which it should be because they camera kit and a 55-200mm lens was around 1.1k. So if it is I will post tomorrow with my new camera. :)

the 3" VGA resolution LCD screen alone is worth the switch to the D90. The D90 is a way better camera. I would absolutely do it!!!

If there is money to boot for you to change over to the D90, you could put that into more lenses, keep D5000 for now, learn to use the D5000 to its potential, then buy a nice D90 when price drops in the next couple of years when they release the newer "D91".

Remember that you would be buying features only, same image sensors in both cameras. The D5000 is basically a baby D90 if I understand correctly.

Whatever you spend on Nikon lenses, they will almost always hold their value.

Whatever you spend on camera bodies, they will NEVER hold their value.

I am not sure if I would ever buy a new camera body, let someone else take that depreciation in value.

If there is money to boot for you to change over to the D90, you could put that into more lenses, keep D5000 for now, learn to use the D5000 to its potential, then buy a nice D90 when price drops in the next couple of years when they release the newer "D91".

Remember that you would be buying features only, same image sensors in both cameras. The D5000 is basically a baby D90 if I understand correctly.

Whatever you spend on Nikon lenses, they will almost always hold their value.

Whatever you spend on camera bodies, they will NEVER hold their value.

I am not sure if I would ever buy a new camera body, let someone else take that depreciation in value.

Well that is all good and fine, but I would save money on the lenses with the d90 due to the af motor. ;-)

I have a D60. While I would love to upgrade to the D90 (AF motor, top LCD screen, better low light capability, bracketing) I find myself limited more by my glass than the body. Having some fast glass would help me out way more than a new body.

If you're looking to upgrade to make your kit more flashy, then get the D90. If it's for creative reasons, look at glass.

Ah, but having a built in AF motor makes fast glass a lot cheaper.

I just picked up a 80-200mm af nikkor for $500, an AFS version would have cost me two or three times as much! and for what? a slightly faster focus speed?

Think I'm going to do it, just because it would last me a bit longer and save me money in the long run.

Don't ask ... just do it. You know what you want. Do it and forget about it.;)

I would suggest the D90 w/1 lens over the D5000 with 2 lenses...some of the reasons that I would want the D90, and not necessarily in order...

1) Built in focus motor (If the D5000 compares to the D3000 in focus speed, the D90 is MUCH faster focusing. I've used my D90 and my son's D3000. I've not used the D5000 so cannot directly compare but can assume the D3000=D5000 in this area.)

2) 2 command dials (this is huge to me)

3) Top LCD screen (again, a huge positive of the D90 to me)

4) Larger, more "substantial" feel

5) Slightly larger and higher resolution LCD (and I am not a fan of the articulating screens)

6) Ability for wireless flash control (again, a huge positive of the D90 to me)

7) The D90 kit includes the 18-105 lens, so it is "somewhere in between" the 18-55 and 55-200 combo. As a single lens, a good solution/compromise.

Thanks, John

Well I just ran the numbers and it was 149 dollars more to get the D90.

Most reactions

Back