Hard time knowing how to order a softbox...

giorgio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi 'all

Sorry for the long post, the question is simple:
How do I search/purchase in adorama, amazon, etc. for the "whole" solution of a softbox to have it on my light stand with my Vivitars 285HV

==================
I'll explain.
I'm trying to buy a softbox but on those sites(amazon, adorama, etc.)..., well, there are lots of softboxes but they DON'T specify enough for me to know if I'm able to use my Strobes Vivitars or SB600 with it.

Derrel here has helped me on another post giving me some useful links to softbox brands websites and they're good and clear, but I would like to be able to buy also from what ever site that offers softboxes.

For example, in Adorama there's a softbox that says...

Interfit Photographic Rectangular Softbox for Strobes, 36" x 48".

A pic...
PASB3648.jpg

And then a little note:
"Requires Adapter Speed Ring to fit Your Flash Unit, Sold Seperatly."

And that's it.

Ok, fine, it says ".. for strobes", so..., speedlights, strobes or Flash are the same thing?, I know mine are not Continuos Flash lights, but not sure for example what "speedlights" referes to.
Anyhow, then it says "requires adapter ring..."
so, I then search on the site for "interfit adapter speed ring" which it shows several rings...
For example: Interfit Photographic Adapter Speed Ring, Adapts Interfit Pro Series Softboxes to White Lightning Flash Units.
PAARWHLIGHT.jpg

how am I going to know which one is?, and then... that would be it?
I see the photos of those round rings and can't see how my strobes are going to fit there and/or from where it is screwed on my light stands.

I can't see in the picture the back of the softbox so don't have a good idea of how or where goes my strobes.

thank you very much

Last edited:
Most softboxes need a speedring. That is the metal ring that holds the softbox frame and attaches to the light or stand.

Different studio lights have different mounting connections, so to mount a speedring (and thus a softbox) to a light, the speedring must match.
Interfit Photographic Adapter Speed Ring, Adapts Interfit Pro Series Softboxes to White Lightning Flash Units.
So in this example, the speedring will fit White Lighting brand studio lights.

Flash/strobe usually means the same thing...although it's more common to call a studio type light a strobe and a hot-shoe type unit a flash. 'Speedlight' or 'Speedlite' refers to a hot-shoe type flash unit.

Your problem is that Speedlights don't have a mounting mechanism for a speedring. So you need to find a solution that is specific for using speedlights with a softbox.
typically this is some sort of L-bracket that connects the speed ring to something that can hold the flash.

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Photo / Video 16" Speedlite Flash Softbox with L-Bracket, Shoe Mount & Carry Case: Camera & Photo
http://store.tagotech.com/images/softbox-easy-fold.jpg
http://www.cotswoldphoto.co.uk/media/kit1.jpg

Another option is to get one of these softboxes that has a rod like an umbrella, and can then be attached to an umbrella adapter.
http://www.firelily.com/photography/image/softbox.inside.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back