Hardware colour calibration

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My CRT is on the way out. I just bought a NEC 2690WUXi screen which features a 26" H-IPS panel, a 12bit LUT and 96% AdobeRGB gamut coverage. The latter feature is the reason for this question.

The calibration software for this monitor is SpectraView which writes adjustments to the screen's lookup table rather than just creating an ICC profile like many other packages do. While I was going to buy the ColorVision Spyder 2 colorimeter I have heard that even though SpectraView is compatible with it it has trouble with the wide out of sRGB gamut the screen can display.

So my question is can anyone recommend another product other than the Spyder 2 to calibrate this monitor? I do believe NEC has one too which ships with it the expensive version of SpectraView but I am having trouble finding details of it.

I think the X-Rite i1 should do it fine. I used the older Monaco Optix XR before they were bought out and it had no problems with wide color gamuts.

Thanks I'll look into that one.

I'm just wondering about the Spyder3. Australia is a little light on all of this type of equipment. Even the NEC screen was almost impossible to get locally, but I do believe Kayell stocks the Spyder colourimetres.

The i1 Display 2 colourimeter (not to be confused with the more expensive i1 Pro spectrophotometer) is available in the two SpectraviewII/colourimeter bundles sold by NEC, so it should be OK. I have both of those i1 things, and the Display 2 has worked sufficiently well that I don't bother with the Pro for monitor calibration.

Best,
Helen

Ah a Helen B post. Just what I needed. :) I will look into that one. If it ships with NEC software I assume it must work well with their screens.

I just need to find a source for NEC products... May end up just buying from America.

Most reactions

Back