Harry Potter on tv

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The first Harry Potter is showing on TV right at this moment... and it has been seriously edited! Like I mean seriously hacked away at for tv... well it seems like it... there's all this stuff I don't remember! :shock:

It's only just started... and you know how at the start Harry receives all those letters from Hogwarts. Well... in this version, just before that they spoke about his school uniform and what school he was going to <- I don't remember that bit from the movie! :confused:
And then.... Aunt Petunia kept cracking eggs open and finding letters in there!! Now that seriously wasn't in the movie! or the 2 DVD versions I've got... but both the DVDs I have are exactly the same (ones just french). So what's up with this?

Maybe it's the american version. Do any of you remember those 2 bits from the movie... I'm sure I'll notice more bits as the movie goes on.
I could be a real geek and watch the dvd on my laptop while I watch the tv version to pick out all the differences... hehee.

Hmmm okay... that was one seriously weird version of Harry Potter.
There were all these extra scenes added I've never seen before.... and bits cut out... and words changed.

:confused:

I wonder how many other movies are edited this much and I never know it.

I recently watched "Old School" on tv after having seen it on dvd recently. They had most of the deleted scenes added to the tv version, even though they were only 'extras' on the dvd.

I'm sure that's where a lot of them came from, if not all.

As far as the letters go in Potter, the book spent quite a lot of time on them, I'm sure they were removed simply for time purposes.

The weird thing for me is when I saw the first LOTR in the cinema it had all the deleted scences in it that were on the DVD and were only deleted from the DVD version, didn't get that.

i hate they way the cut bits out on the dvd version of a film and then put them in the Extras sections. Are the trying to fool us into thinking theyre giving us more?

JohnMF said:
i hate they way the cut bits out on the dvd version of a film and then put them in the Extras sections. Are the trying to fool us into thinking theyre giving us more?

I hate it too. Especially if you want to view the film in it's entirety. I was showing a movie to a friend and thought that one of the deleted scenes was quite funny and should've been included. I had to stop the movie at the right time, play the deleted scene, and resume the movie to get it in.

They should just make the deleted scenes turn-on-able from the main menu, I know it's possible using the chapters on dvd's.

They did indeed make two versions (both book & movie). One for the whole world and one for the USA.

The real title is The Philosopher Stone...the US version is The Sorcerer Stone.

Why? I guess they thought that the real version was above their kids so they had to dumb it down. Stupid IMO.

In Canada, we got the real version.

Sometimes they put some deleted scenes into TV versions. I've seen that advertised a few times but usually they just cut it down to fit their schedule.

Big Mike said:
They did indeed make two versions (both book & movie). One for the whole world and one for the USA.

The real title is The Philosopher Stone...the US version is The Sorcerer Stone.

Why? I guess they thought that the real version was above their kids so they had to dumb it down. Stupid IMO.

In Canada, we got the real version.

What? :er:

I was involved in a two week long discussion, back when the first movie came out. Nobody really knew why they changed it. The general consensus was that they didn't think kids would 'get it' unless it was more 'American'

I can't believe they actually changed the book from 'Philosopher' to 'Sorcerer'. I guess they also changed a bunch of the English terms into more 'North American friendly' words. I think kids are smart enough to figure it out.

Big Mike said:
I was involved in a two week long discussion, back when the first movie came out. Nobody really knew why they changed it. The general consensus was that they didn't think kids would 'get it' unless it was more 'American'

I can't believe they actually changed the book from 'Philosopher' to 'Sorcerer'. I guess they also changed a bunch of the English terms into more 'North American friendly' words. I think kids are smart enough to figure it out.

Ohhh, so they changed stuff like "bonnet" to "trunk" and "bonk" to "have sex" and stuff like that? Or was there major content revisions? And I guess I don't understand why that's "dumbed down?"

Big Mike said:

If only the kids were running it, not thse adults...would solve alot of problems in the world.

mountainlander said:
Ohhh, so they changed stuff like "bonnet" to "trunk" and "bonk" to "have sex" and stuff like that? Or was there major content revisions? And I guess I don't understand why that's "dumbed down?"

Maybe 'dumbed down' is not the best way to say it. One way of looking at it, is that the American Execs. didn't think American kids would understand it...or that they wouldn't like it because it was too different from what they are used to.

Bottom line is that they changed it from what the author wrote, unnecessarily IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back