Harsh C&C on any of the photos you want (strobistish practice)

themedicine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So yes, there are EIGHT photos here. Sorry for so many but I don't expect anyone to C&C all of them, unless you have the time, I only want you C&C on the ones you want to..
Basically a friend of mine has recently gotten a revived love of the photo world and wanted to break out his 30D. So I thought it would be a great time to go out and have a little practice for myself and some off camera lighting lessons for him. We swapped the transmitter back and forth and adjusted things as we saw fit. Anyway, we had a good time and now, he's stoked about his pictures and the possibilities for his photo future!
So go ahead, be harsh, let me know what you think and so on.
I appreciate your honesty!

4323211197_3f110fb3fa_o.jpg

4323946034_72bea71aca_o.jpg

4323946426_17a9621f29_o.jpg

4323212521_376f2042de_b.jpg

4323212719_e072557715_o.jpg

4323212927_0ae5397e8d_o.jpg

4323947356_76632afcc2_o.jpg

4323947754_8a3318a0d1_b.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

4, 5, & 6 are the stand-outs for me.

The others aren't bad, they just don't have the impact that those 3 have for me.

Sorry if I don't have more constructive C&C...you obviously know what you're doing.

edit
...Attempt at something more constructive...

1 & 2 are really the only ones that I don't like. I think mostly because you have two different light sources, with two different color temperatures. (I guess that's the case on all of them - but it's more obvious on these two.)
Not sure about the composition on #1... Not sure if I like the back of his head being cut off...

Take all of that with a grain of salt...

Last edited:
# 1 would be really cool if you had some subject that the raised brow is referencing.

^^ Like he was looking at something that caused the raised eyebrow? I like that idea....

Thanks Josh, I hope you weren't being sarcastic about "knowing what you're doing" but i don't think you were. At least, that's how I deal with internet sarcasm, I assume it doesn't exist unless it benefits me haha..

Thanks Josh, I hope you weren't being sarcastic about "knowing what you're doing" but i don't think you were.

Nah - no sarcasm. Just meant that there probably isn't really anything I can tell you. You already know anything I could come up with.

Nah, I'm right there with you, practicing away!

On a side note...
Come on people!
MINI RANT: Why do I feel like I should post in the beginners forum so I will actually get some responses?!
ok mini rant over, maybe this just means I'm so good I don't need C&C yea, that must be it. Time to get my website back up and start shooting professionally, at least I think I read on here somewhere that's all you need, a camera and a website. haha
Sorry everyone, I just like hearing everyone's opinions, call it vain, call it a will to really learn, call it whatever.
Oh and everything I just said is mostly me just kidding around and being bored. haha.

I'm new to this type of lighting and was wondering why #2 looks like he's standing in front of a green screen or something?
As for the mini rant, I feel the same way.

thanks peeps!
Alot of these have that "green screen" feel to them but number two looks the way it does because I actually underexposed the background by about a stop and half and lit him with a CTO (color temperature orange) gel. I wish I had a 1/2 CTO but I don't yet, that really would have worked much better and not been such a dramatic color shift. But the separation caused by both the underexposed background and the gel along with the sun being a backlight cause that "look" so to speak.

They're all pretty good except for #3 I would try to underexpose the background more to get more of the details in the snow.

Yea, I think number six is my favorite too. And I agree about number three, kinda wish I would have done that now, Maybe I'll work with that one a bit in post, which I hate to do but maybe I can make a good subtle difference. Thanks everyone! Keep em coming! haha

i really like #6.

3 looks like the hair is on fire and yet his face is completely casper white. Don't care for 3 at all.

Of these, I actually think I prefer number 1. I think the color looks the most natural of them all and I don't mind the back of the head being cut off in-spite of that being unusual, I like the unusual. The light in number 1 on his neck is a bit distracting though and there is a stray hair, but the focus is very good and the expression suggests that he is up to something leaving the admirer to wonder what.

2 just looks like he suddenly heard something and if he stayed in that pose for long I am not sure he wouldnt be stuck permanantly.

Most reactions

Back