Has anyone ever been robbed or mugged while out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think prob I could pull something up from Wikipedia... :lol:

Stradawhovious said:
My Opinion.

It would be asanine and immoral (and in the VAST majority of states a criminal act) to kill someone to protect your property. It's jsut stuff. Let it go.

I'm also of the mind that physical violence should be answered with violence.

If someone wants to dash past and steal my camera, it's my faust for not having it more securely fastened to me. If the take out a weapon, or threaten me personally, it is no longer just about my camera, is it?

You should take more pride in your property.

Frankly, someone who is willing to shoot someone else to protect their camera is as dangerous as someone who would shoot to take it.

On a philosophical level.. I disagree! WHO initiated the violence / theft? Are you saying it is OK for them to steal from someone without any retaliation... as long as no one gets hurt?

I think if they learn that it isn't worth their life to steal.. then they are a lot less likely to steal!

What about the aftermath of a crime like that... the victim is going to be scared, terrified.. to even go to out on the street! Major mental and emotional trauma just because some a-hole figured he could get away with it! So the criminal walks away happy.. and the victim suffers for an indeterminate amount of time (maybe forever).

Can you say that is RIGHT?

If everyone was armed all hell could break loose. People could... I don't know, go to a school and shoot everyone.

That can happen just as easily in the UK, since it is a criminal act, done by criminals..... only it's far less likely that anyone will be able to defend against it seeing as Law abiding folks aren't allowed to defend themselves.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I can appreciate your point and respect your opinion, but you aren't going to change my mind.

Then why is it that violent crime rates are highest in regions with the most gun ownership?

A statement like this needs to be backed up with a reliable source, or dismissed as hearsay. (which it is.)

Higher rates of gun ownership correlate with higher homicide rates

Violent crimes are higher in regions with a higher population. It's simple statistics.

That's why there is per capita. Those statisticians are tricky!

On a polarized topic like this... it is always easy to find data that backs up your viewpoint! It would be just as easy for me to go out and find data that totally refutes your data.....

Frankly, someone who is willing to shoot someone else to protect their camera is as dangerous as someone who would shoot to take it.

On a philosophical level.. I disagree! WHO initiated the violence / theft?

Careful.... Theft and violence are two VERY different things.

Theft IS Violence! It may not make someone bleed... but mentally and emotionally, it can be as devastating as getting shot!

I suppose RAPE isn't violence either.. as long as no one gets hurt?

You should take more pride in your property.

On a philosophical level.. I disagree! WHO initiated the violence / theft? Are you saying it is OK for them to steal from someone without any retaliation... as long as no one gets hurt?

I think if they learn that it isn't worth their life to steal.. then they are a lot less likely to steal!

What about the aftermath of a crime like that... the victim is going to be scared, terrified.. to even go to out on the street! Major mental and emotional trauma just because some a-hole figured he could get away with it! So the criminal walks away happy.. and the victim suffers for an indeterminate amount of time (maybe forever).

Can you say that is RIGHT?

But at what point is it OK to use deadly force? How much is a life worth? $15K camera bag, or $7.50 that some kid pick pocketed? Does it matter that the kid is a 19 year old pothead? Does it matter if the camera thief is a 40 year old tweaker?

I wish somebody would have the nerve to try and steal my gear from me...you know what I'd do? I would cooperatively hand it over and offer my wallet as well. No piece of plastic nor any amount of money is worth losing my life over.

Then I'd call the police and my insurance company.

On a philosophical level.. I disagree! WHO initiated the violence / theft?

Theft IS Violence! It may not make someone bleed... but mentally and emotionally, it can be as devastating as getting shot!

Thanks for putting words in my mouth in an attempt to sway opinion. That's a real asshat move.

Rape IS violence. Physical assault of any kind is violence. Someone pushes me to the ground to take my backpack is violence.

Someone running past and grabbing my backpack without physically assaulting me is theft.

There. Does that help clear things up? :er:

So if someone pushes you down, takes your backpack and keeps running, is it ok to open fire - you know, bored texan suburbanite style?

So if someone pushes you down, takes your backpack and keeps running, is it ok to open fire - you know, bored texan suburbanite style?

I'm sorry, did I say that? Nope. Sure didn't.

Fact is it depends on where you are. Legally? In some states, yes. In most states, no. Even in the states where it is technically legal, it's up to a counsil of jurors to decide, and I would bet dimes to dollars you are in for 3 mediocre meals and brick walls for a couple of decades.

Morally? Not in my book, unless I'm threatened with gross bodily harm or death. A fall to the ground will not kill me, or even hurt me. Being stabbed in the throat on the other hand........

Prone position can be a very accurate position to shoot from.. I would do it! lol!

Thanks for putting words in my mouth in an attempt to sway opinion. That's a real asshat move.

Rape IS violence. Physical assault of any kind is violence. Someone pushes me to the ground to take my backpack is violence.

Someone running past and grabbing my backpack without physically assaulting me is theft.

There. Does that help clear things up? :er:

I was being sarcastic about the RAPE thing!

You did not address my point on the mental and emotional trauma to the victim from a "non-violent" theft? Is it FAIR for a victim to suffer like that, because some a-hole decides he can do that to them? How is that not VIOLENCE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back