Has anyone ever set up a photo competition?

Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The compound I live on in Riyadh has around 1,200+ plus residents (company employees + dependents) on it and I was wondering whether it might be worth trying to organise a photo comp for them. I've got a fair few thoughts on the type of things I need to consider, but what are the pitfalls I need to be aware of? So far, my mind says I need:
  • Exhibition space
  • Judges
  • Categories & rules
  • Prizes (and sponsorship generally)
  • Printing
  • Publicity
Anyone tried this at all and can advise?

No but I have set up other competitions, and sponsoring is generally reasonably easy to come by. Now a $10000 prize may not be, but at the very least pretty much every photography store would be willing to drop a 50-100$ voucher in your lap. You'd need to do some digging to get more.

Remember the grander the event the more the sponsors will be willing to provide. I suggest leave this bit to after you've figured out everything. If you go in and say you want to start a contest you're likely to come away with a voucher. Say you're running a contest with x number of people held in a public space with x people attending and signs x*x large and you need a sponsor in exchange for advertising space, you're likely to come away with something far better.

I have to agree plus it help get people motivated. every body likes a challenge. So I'm in just name the place and time. you should also have a way that people from around the country can submit. that way we ddon't leave anybody out.

Most reactions

Back