Has anyone ever set up a photo competition?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Chris of Arabia, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The compound I live on in Riyadh has around 1,200+ plus residents (company employees + dependents) on it and I was wondering whether it might be worth trying to organise a photo comp for them. I've got a fair few thoughts on the type of things I need to consider, but what are the pitfalls I need to be aware of? So far, my mind says I need:
    • Exhibition space
    • Judges
    • Categories & rules
    • Prizes (and sponsorship generally)
    • Printing
    • Publicity
    Anyone tried this at all and can advise?

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    No but I have set up other competitions, and sponsoring is generally reasonably easy to come by. Now a $10000 prize may not be, but at the very least pretty much every photography store would be willing to drop a 50-100$ voucher in your lap. You'd need to do some digging to get more.

Remember the grander the event the more the sponsors will be willing to provide. I suggest leave this bit to after you've figured out everything. If you go in and say you want to start a contest you're likely to come away with a voucher. Say you're running a contest with x number of people held in a public space with x people attending and signs x*x large and you need a sponsor in exchange for advertising space, you're likely to come away with something far better.

3. todd harrison

todd harrison TPF Noob!

I have to agree plus it help get people motivated. every body likes a challenge. So I'm in just name the place and time. you should also have a way that people from around the country can submit. that way we ddon't leave anybody out.