Has anyone here got the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for his DSLR?

So far I like it a lot, however I haven't really done a huge amount of testing with it yet. So far it seems to be useable at all apertures, but best stopped down a little bit, like most lenses. Apart from anything else, f/1.4 gives very shallow depth of field, so focusing has to be fairly precise there. But I'm working on the basis that I can use it at f/1.7 and f/2 and get better results there than with an f/1.7 or f/2 lens. As for it being designed for 35mm I haven't noticed any problems in softness, flare or anything else that could be considered a result of using a lens designed for 35mm on a smaller digital sensor.

True, it isn't that much faster than a f/1.7, but I mainly shoot handheld and often in low light, so even a tiny bit faster is good. Plus I'll take all the light I can get when looking through dSLR viewfinders!

Oh, I skipped the 50-200 and true P-TTL flash and went straight for the fancy fast prime, oops :D. I still haven't got it yet because again, totally unavailable, but the 77 is gonna be kickin! I would like a new flash (my mom's 20 year Vivitar just can't cut it sometimes) but I guess I can wait a little bit. Heck, I also need a tripod. Time to start a list...

Most reactions

Back