Has anyone read this?

Interesting, sounds to me like the pricing should have been agreed before the wedding took place. It's fine having optional extras, add ons and pricing that reflects the extra work but I cant think of a good reason for that model for charging a customer.

From a business perspective, the cover choice should have been explicit in the contract ("basic" cover at no additional cost or "nice" cover at this extra cost). If I had been the photographer, I would have given them the cover (under the principle that sometimes you may be right but the resulting fuss isn't worth the extra effort) and made sure that subsequent customers were informed of this. However, it's easy to be a "monday-morning quarterback" once the consequences have played out. It's usually much harder to figure out the right thing to do in the heat of the moment.

What would you have done differently if you were the photographer ?

Not been a horrible business person with shady ass business practices. Learn from my mistake and make sure that I write up a basic cover w/album is included in the contract but anything above the standard up to $150 cover or whatever is extra. Then write an actual apology on my website, not that silly open letter trying to defend myself. Then learn how to white balance photos before ever taking another gig.

What would you have done differently if you were the customer?

Not used such an awful photographer to shoot my wedding.
[I'm talking skill level and final product, nothing to do with Covergate.]

Last edited:
I fail to see why its national news - or even worthy of being reported online, but I guess a slow news day. However when things like this happen I always wonder if there isn't more to the story than we are presented.

Still if the practice is as stated it sounds like the photographer slipped in a hidden charge and in most times got away with it; but this time didn't. It might also be a simple difference of opinion and that in the past the additional charge was brought up by the photographer (ergo something mentioned in words not in writing).

The best one can walk away from is to learn that anything you agree with - any policy - any setup you have must be clear and in writing before the agreement is made. Hidden charges only ever get people annoyed and are something that can quickly ruin a reputation.

What a crafty *****.

Interesting story, I agree with the crowd - should have a basic cover included then options to upgrade. Albums have covers. I'm sure most of her previous customer's just paid it to get their photos.

I fail to see why its national news - or even worthy of being reported online, but I guess a slow news day.

Bride got scorn, went to local news. Story is just floating around social circles now.

you can't have a line item in a Contract that reads: 40-page 8.5x12 Storybook Album with up to 80 images

then ask for $125 to pay for the cover while you hold the rest of the pictures hostage and threaten another $250 fee if the process takes too long.

The photographer is just pissed she got called out. It's even sillier because the money probably does go directly into paying for the cover of the album.

She should have just ate the cost and altered her contracts going forward. Now she got bad press; people don't like hidden fees. And has had to now even shell out for an attorney--all over $125. If she sues the couple for damaging her business, I'll laugh my ass off.

Last edited:
It was such a boring read that I did not finish.

What did the sample album look like? Did it have a cover?

I agree with everyone that has posted. I honestly think that eating the cost of the cover would have been the best thing to do in her situation. Now she has a bad rep, any time someone looks her up only bad rep is going to pop up on google.

Seems like her business skills are just as bad as her photography skills lol

She should have just ate the cost and altered her contracts going forward. Now she got bad press; people don't like hidden fees. And has had to now even shell out for an attorney--all over $125. If she sues the couple for damaging her business, I'll laugh my ass off.

Yup, she already got 6 grand for the shoot. A smart business person knows when to not nickel and dime a high paying client.

Another example of why I don't want to shoot weddings. There isn't an option for the cover that is plan with no photo?

Sounds to me like the photogs pricing was set that the "up-charge" for the cover was to pay for the album. If that's the case, their pricing model needs to be looked at.

Another example of why I don't want to shoot weddings. There isn't an option for the cover that is plan with no photo?

Sounds to me like the photogs pricing was set that the "up-charge" for the cover was to pay for the album. If that's the case, their pricing model needs to be looked at.

Reminds me of when I went to buy a car for my mother. The deal was almost done and I asked why there were no floor mats in a new car. Dealer said it was an optional extra. I said you either throw in the floor mats for free or I walk. He didn't and I did.

On the flip side I had taken my car into get some recall work done. They were just inspecting a part so it was a very quick job. While taking the car out of the garage one of the mechanics curbed my rim. Not there was hardly a scratch and I wasn't upset at all but the manger gave me a pass for free car washes. Not a hug deal at the end of the day but it was a little thing that earned them a lifetime customer.

There is a follow up from the photog. Seems the bride did this as a marketing stunt to profit her blog [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a follow up from the photog. Seems the bride did this as a marketing stunt to profit her blog [emoji16]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People still blog?

BTW you look very pretty in you new avatr.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back