Has anyone switched to Mirrorless for Photojournalism?

TMortPhotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the Military and think a Mirrorless would make sense for shooting in the field...at least one body and lens. Has anyone else made this switch? I know that we always want quality but sometimes it's about capturing the moment and carrying big heavy cameras and lenses might hinder this.

Any suggestions and/or feedback or example photos? I was looking at the new Panasonic GH4 but it's out of stock everywhere and pretty spendy.

0 replies to either of my posts on this forum. =/

Look at my website and my articles on street photography.
m43 is all I use.

Are you at DINFOS by any chance?

I've been trying to reclass to photojournalist.

How do you know of Dinfos? Are you a prior instructor/student? I will check out your website thanks!

Look at my website and my articles on street photography.
m43 is all I use.

Are you at DINFOS by any chance?

Last edited:
I was on Ft Meade for 12 years but now retired.
I live about 10 miles from there and Have a meeting with the photo dept heads on Tuesday.

Should I ask what it takes to get into their program?

It certainly couldn't hurt! They can take a look at my site if they want. =) I just started it a couple weeks ago so it's a work in progress atm.
I was on Ft Meade for 12 years but now retired.
I live about 10 miles from there and Have a meeting with the photo dept heads on Tuesday.

Should I ask what it takes to get into their program?

Last edited:
Have dslr, but have not used if for almost 2 years except for macro. I'm not a pro, but I use mirrorless for street and doc work.

Which of the mirrorless cameras, would you all say, provide the best quality photo with good AF speed? Like I menetioned, I know the GH4 is a sweet setup, but I feel like one is paying extra for the video capabilities. Still photography is my main focus with video being second.

By the way, Mr. Lorton, your photography is excellent!

I've read a lot of stuff from photojournalists using mirror less, and everyone of them complains about the auto focus speed. Personally, I'd also be worried about the availability of the right lenses, although the GH4 does seem to have a good selection of lenses.

I've read a lot of stuff from photojournalists using mirror less, and everyone of them complains about the auto focus speed. Personally, I'd also be worried about the availability of the right lenses, although the GH4 does seem to have a good selection of lenses.

I use an OMD 5 (and have shot with the new em-1) and their autofocus speed is stunningly fast.

There are 51 lenses specifically for m4/3 ( Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses) ) plus adapters from 4/3 and other Nikon//Canon lenses.

I use 4 lenses the Oly 20 mm 1.7 (40 mm equivalent), Panasonic 12-35 2.8 (24-70 equiv), Pana 35-100 2.8 (70-200 eq) and Oly 45 1.8 (90 mm equiv)
The shortcoming in lenses for m4/3 is no long fast primes.

The A7 is great, why do you need auto focus ? All my Leica lenses are manual on th A7 but I might treat myself to the 35mm lens for the A7 (did you know the A7 is full frame )
Use hyperfocus like these

DSC01077%20copy-XL.jpg

and next shot on single shot

DSC01078_1-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots!

I too used to use hyper-focus to advantage when I used adapted lenses on my G1. Now that I have a E-M5 & faster native lenses I do not find the need.

Full frame cameras require full frame lenses & thus are not as compact as a m4/3 camera & native lenses.

You can also do this with the A7 if you have Leica M fit lenses and buy the Voigtlander close focus adapter

DSC01096-XL.jpg

The Canon 1DX, AKA "The Photojournalism Lord Grandpoba the highest" I have dappled in photojournalism and most of the pros i ran into where running the 1dx.

Most reactions

Back