Has anyone tried the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens???

purpleorbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

Im looking to get a 70-300mm lens and I can get the af-p dx nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3g ed lens new for right at $160.00
If anyone has one of these or has used one or even has any thoughts about it, please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks

It is cheaply made and slow. I had one for a day. I have also used the similar Tamron zoom and personally preferred it to the Nikkor mostly because the build quality was little better.

Might want to check out the review of the Nikon D3400 AND see the comments on this new lens, which has been on the market for only a few months.

Nikon D3400 Camera Review | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Check the review of this NEW lens here:
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Excerpt: "
The big surprise is that the new AF-P focus motor is very snappy and nearly silent. Given the low price of this lens and the performance of the older 55-200mm and 55-300mm DX zooms, I was expecting the 70-300mm to be in the same range. Not even close. The new lens is clearly faster than the older DX telephoto zooms in bright light, even with the low end D3400 I was mostly testing it on.

This was especially true of cross point focus sensors: snappy, sometimes faster than you can notice any change to the focus. In good light and with a cross focus sensor, this lens performs right up there with many of the big, expensive lenses, for sure, even on the least expensive Nikon DSLR body."
This is NOT the older 70-300 VR lens. And it DOES NOT work on older cameras: make sure about the compatibility. Even fairly "new" cameras cannot use the AF-P focus protocol!

Might want to check out the review of the Nikon D3400 AND see the comments on this new lens, which has been on the market for only a few months.

Nikon D3400 Camera Review | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Check the review of this NEW lens here:
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Excerpt: "
The big surprise is that the new AF-P focus motor is very snappy and nearly silent. Given the low price of this lens and the performance of the older 55-200mm and 55-300mm DX zooms, I was expecting the 70-300mm to be in the same range. Not even close. The new lens is clearly faster than the older DX telephoto zooms in bright light, even with the low end D3400 I was mostly testing it on.

This was especially true of cross point focus sensors: snappy, sometimes faster than you can notice any change to the focus. In good light and with a cross focus sensor, this lens performs right up there with many of the big, expensive lenses, for sure, even on the least expensive Nikon DSLR body."
This is NOT the older 70-300 VR lens. And it DOES NOT work on older cameras: make sure about the compatibility. Even fairly "new" cameras cannot use the AF-P focus protocol!

Interesting it's only fully compatible on a handful of bodies.

I have the D5300 the mpn is 1522 so I think its the one that's compatible. The bundle i bought came with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6g af-p vr nikkor lens so i figured that af-p would be what I needed.
Thanks for the replys. I appreciate it.

I personally would not buy a long lens without vibration reduction (VR). You would be limited to high shutter speeds or a tripod. The non VR version came as a kit lens on the D3400, which is probably why you can get it so cheap.

VR is dependent upon function.

If you take many people photos (non sports, birds in flight, etc) then the VR is beneficial. The VR is beneficial especially for this lens as teh aperture at 70mm is f/4.5 going to f/6.3 at 300mm.

If you do sports / action photography then you'll be using higher shutter speeds, which VR is not designed to do, thus you turn VR off.

VR doesn't help if the subject is moving. VR helps if you the photographer is moving slightly while taking the photo at lower shutter speeds.

Also check compatibility. You cannot turn off the VR with a d7100/d7200. and it's not compatible with most of the older d3x00 and d5x00.

It oddly seems that the VR on/off is menu based, not a switch on the lens ??? Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
I have the 18-55 af-p dx vr (came with camera) And i believe you are right there is no on/off switch on it other than through the actual camera menu. I know, kinda weird me asking about the vr whilst having a lens with it but I am new to photography and have no other lens to compare non vr to.
I found the 70-300mm af-p dx vr ed on ebay for $219.00
so the non vr is $160 and the vr model is $219
sounds like I need a tad more money so I can get the vr lens.
Thanks for all your replys everyone. I appreciate it.

Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens!! PRO BUNDLE BRAND NEW!! | eBay

I can get the lens itself or the above kit. Are the extras in the kit worth the extra $40 bucks?
depends how much you value junk!!

Most everything there is pretty much useless.
I'd just get the lens and save yourself a few dollars.

edit: ironically, just checking AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED | Interchangeable Lens from Nikon
the lens *as new* apparently does not come with a lens hood.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Nikon makes a non-VR version of the 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 AF-P ED Lens.

It sounds like maybe the $160 70-300mm lens might not be the AF-P version. Nikon made multiple versions of the 70-300mm 4.5/5.6 lens, some without VR and some with. In general I don't recommend the non-VR versions.

As Astro pointed out VR is not essential in all types of shooting, however the older non-VR versions of the 70-300mm do seem to have much poorer reviews and are not as well regarded as the newer VR versions for reasons that are not related to the VR functionality.

I believe the old non-VR version of the AF 70-300 G also is not AutoFocus compatible with the d3x00 and d5x00 and requires an in-body focus motor, as they are screw AF driven.

Do not get this lens ==> AF Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G from Nikon

Also, you never mentioned which camera you have.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back