Has anyone tried the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens???

Doesn't look like the second lens is a non-VR, the ad does say it is the VR. However the seller is most likely selling you a grey market item, meaning it wasn't supposed to be sold here in the US, and they are saving money by selling you a lens with a non-US serial number.

Opinions vary on this, a lot.. but me personally, I would never buy a grey market item. Nikon can and often will refuse to service them, so your stuck dealing with the seller for any sort of warranty, that's if they will do anything at all.

But of course after the warranty period expires, then your stuck. If you have a problem with the lens after that, it's very possible that no Nikon authorized repair center will repair it even out of warranty. For me that's not worth saving a couple of extra bucks on the thing up front.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:

Interesting. Wasn't aware they made a non-VR version. That's a little unusual for a new Nikon lens.
they're pushing the lens for HD video ... not sure if that makes a difference.

Never really bothered to research the lens when it came out, won't ever end up buying one so it wasn't on my list of stuff to look at. With the 70-200mm 2.8 if I did have one it would just sit in the bag all the time, same reason I sold my Tamron 70-300mm VC. Nice lens, just never really had much use for it after getting the 70-200mm.

spend a little more money and get the nikkor 70-300 VRII lens.
its an FX lens, so useful if you ever upgrade to full frame.
I owned this lens and loved it. fast AF, VR worked great, well built.
can be had for around $300 used.

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED from Nikon

Its not that I want to go go "grey market" but it's literally all I can afford. It took me around a year and half just to get the cash for the D5300.
I would love to get nikkor 70-300 VRII lens one of these days (along with many other good lenses!) It's not that I'm cheap, just broke and trying to get by while learning photography and equipment.
Thanks for all the reply's and info! I really appreciate it!

The thing is, if you read the Thom Hogan reviews of the D3400 and the 70-300 AF-P DX VR lens--the new DX lens is actually BETTER in almost all ways than the older (10+ years now) 70-300 VR lens! Thom mentions the surprisingly FAST AF speed of the new 70-300 AF-P zoom, and several times he uses the word "Better", when comparing this to the older full-frame AF-S VR model 70-200 and the focusing speed of other high-end lenses.

In his D3400 review, he states that new AF-P focusing system seems to work BETTER than the AF-S motor in the older lens, and the AF-P lens seems to have better optics as well. This is one of those cases where new, consumer-level gear is just,well, better than stuff that was designed a decade ago. Plus, designing a lens for a smaller image circle can sometimes make for a very good-performing lens: it seems like Nikon has designed the new AF-P lens to be optimal on 24-MP-plus DX sensors, and only on the very-newest Nikon DX cameras; the AF-S VR model was from back in the era of 10 or 12 megapixels on APS-C. Considering that the 70-300 AF-P offers focusing speed that he says is comparable to a 70-200 pro lens...it sure sounds like a marked improvement to me over the other, earlier 70-300 lenses for DX users.

Last edited:
The oddest part of that lens is the VR control is now software based, in your menu.
And you have to have a camera that supports it.

Astro.. Little off topic but can you see the Auroras from SE Michigan at times?
No.
You have to venture further west away from the big city area or further north. You don't have to go very far, about 50-100 miles to see "glimpses" of it. But nothing that you would get if you go to northern lower Michigan or upper Michigan.

The oddest part of that lens is the VR control is now software based, in your menu.
And you have to have a camera that supports it.
VR control by software is not my favourite part.

Sorry guys,
1 more question on this.
  • F-Mount Lens/DX Format
  • 105-450mm (35mm Equivalent)
  • Aperture Range: f/4.5-6.3 to f/32
  • One Extra-Low Dispersion Element
what does 105-450mm (35mm equivalent) mean?
Is it really a 105-450mm or a 100-300mm?

Most reactions

Back