Hasselblad 503-Viewfinder battery help

Zakd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I need help to find a battery for electronic viewfinder as shown in the photos.
I have bought this viewfinder without battery and the previous owner did not used it and did not know what battery viewfinder need.

Can anyone help me to find appropriate battery to use this view finder and also any link for the manual instruction for this viewfinder since I did not find on the web exactly the same viewfinder only similar ones.

Thanks in advance for help.

Attachments

• battery 1.jpg
    battery 1.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 206
  • battery 2.jpg
    battery 2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 225
  • battery 3.jpg
    battery 3.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 217
@compur is correct on the battery for this unit. However there is something important to note about these cell's.

The original 1.35V mercury batteries are self regulating. In other words they hold a constant 1.35V until they flat out die. Many camera meters rely on this and and designed to work only at 1.35V. Generally speaking this means they lack a voltage regulator as the battery served that purpose. Most meters however will show a reading with between 1.1V-ish and 1.5V. Modern batteries dither their voltage as they die (unlike the old merc cells). Using anything but a 1.35V battery may lead to incorrect meter readings. I dont remember if these units have a regulator or not but its worth it to confirm against a known good meter before using extensively.

The air gaped mercury cells have a piece of foil over the bottom that must be removed for the battery to start working. Im sure that has caused a headache for everyone here at some point (myself included).

I have this view finder and its super nice (FWIW) but I advise caring a known meter with you at all times. On a similar note, this meter is calibrated to work with the stock blad focusing screen. Since its applied on top of the screen, using something like a Matte-D screen which is brighter will require you to apply exposure compensation in the meter to get the right reading, or applying the correction in your head.

Thank you all for reply and for the manual instruction. :02.47-tranquillity:
I did investigate a little over the internet and came to the same results. With this same information, I called several specialized stores here to check availability of this battery type and I founded few options.
A Mercury type batteries are not available but Alkaline are and I decided to buy several different producers so that I can check how long one can work but since they do not have a constant voltage I will look probably very shortly for the adapter. This store also give me information that can find the same type battery but a zinc air cell since it was not available from the stock today.
I actually bought V625U, and some replacement for which I still do not know the code, but will know when I receive them.

In any case tomorrow I will receive the shipment and will feed back what I actually received.
These batteries were very inexpensive, like about 1eur each.

Most reactions

Back