Hassy 120mm lens/prism viewfinder question

It is probably to show the image cropped to the 4x4 cm format which would allow a slide to fit in the appropriate 5x5 cm holder and so be projected in a 'standard' 35 mm projector rather than use a 7x7 cm slide holder and a bigger, usually more expensive, and often manual projector needed for the full 6x6 frame.

Excellent info guys. Makes sense. The mask was taped off to a template and done well, so it seemed somewhat original. I wouldn’t of ever thought to deface the camera. I’m so excited to have a solution to my problem.
I brought this up in a different digital friendly forum, and got horrible feedback. I personally want to crest beautiful negatives that need as little cropping as possible. The other forum acted as though my goal to not want to crop was stupid. So glad to have found this medium format film zone:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is probably to show the image cropped to the 4x4 cm format which would allow a slide to fit in the appropriate 5x5 cm holder and so be projected in a 'standard' 35 mm projector rather than use a 7x7 cm slide holder and a bigger, usually more expensive, and often manual projector needed for the full 6x6 frame.

The so-called SuperSlide format. Medium format film shots that could be projected in a 35mm projector. That was my thought when the question appeared. And that's why the A16S film magazine was produced; it gave of course, 16 4 x 4 cm images, and my feeling is that the 'S' part of the A16S film magazine from Hasselblad meant "slides" or "SuperSlide! The A16 magazine shot 4 x 6.5 cm images.

As I recall, the "baby Rolleiflex" in 127 film format was a 4x4cm capture camera. I had an old, 1960 (?) Montgomery Ward's photography catalog back when I was a kid, and it has a section dedicated to "SuperSlide photography" as they called it. One of the featured cameras in that subsection was a gray "baby Rollei". Oh, how I wanted one!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back