Hate to do this...

eterrisinCYQX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...Since I'm sure you get this all the time, and I did search, but I didn't find anything fitting my criteria. I want an entry-level digital SLR, for we'll say $800 Canadian tops. A starter kit for that price would be ideal.

I was looking at the Rebel XTi kit, any opinions on that?

For what it's worth, full manual does not bother me because I'm learning on a full manual Minolta film SLR.

My priorities, in order, are
1) Action shots of extreme sports (Mountain biking, snowmobiling, DH skiing, etc.)
2) Still shots with subjects, i.e my lazy ass dogs.
3) Landscapes, sunsets, the generic hippie crap my mother keeps around, etc.
Lense suggestions would be nice, too.

I love the film Minolta but not being able to judge my shots before I develop them kinda gets frustrating, not to mention developing charges build up quick.

Thanks in advance!

Get a Sony DSLR. It should work with the lens(es) that you may already have.

Fresh question now: What about something automated with full manual capabilities? Will that blow my budget?

If you already have Minolta Go with the Sony Alpha series. All your lenses will work on it.I'm not knocking Canon But the Xti is a piece of crap(IMO) compared to The sony A100. I wasn't too impressed with the A100 either but it still blew the doors off my sisters XTI. All the things I didn't like about the A100 is now Fixed on it's replacement the A200. You can find used A100's all over for around $500. I think the A200 with a kit lens is around $800. If your willing to wait they are coming out with the A300 and the A350 which is there middle line camera. It offers 14MP and has live view with a swivel screen. i believe they are going to be around 12-1400 in a kit. If you want to go high end the A700 is my fav right now. It took a couple of days to grow on me but it's by far the best camera I have ever owned! If your looking for full auto the A700 takes flawless pics in auto mode. The A100 they were ok but nothing to make me switch over from manual mode.

Since you mentioned sports/action photography, look for the highest number of frames per second that you can afford. The XTi gets 3 fps and gets about 10 before the buffer fills up. Then you'll have to wait about 30 seconds or so before you can take more shots.

For the other shots on your priorities list, any camera will suffice.

I was just in your position, looking at DSLR's, having difficulty trying to decide which one to pick.

The two that I considered was the Canon XT/XTi, and the Nikon D40/D40x. Both should run you about 700-800 CAN for the body + 18-55 kit lens. The D40/D40x was recently replaced by the D60, so they can be had for cheap. The D60 will end your budget closer to the higher side of $800.

Go to a camera store (I recommend London drugs) during its off hours and use both cameras. See how they feel in your hands, how you like the ease of using the controls.

Based on what feels best for you, go with that.

I went with the D40x, purchased from www.mcbaincamera.com, and was quite satisfied. If they have any kits left, you could pick one up for $700 after taxes and shipping.

As for info on the Sony and Pentax, I have very little. The Pentax crossed my list, but didn't make it very far into it.

Oh, if you search this forum you will find reviews on all the entry level DSLR's. A thing to take note of though, Ken Rockwell's reviews should be taken with a large grain of salt.

So far, my short list includes the Nikon D40x, the Rebel XTi, and the A200. Since it sounds like the A200 will take my lenses, I'm leaning towards the Alpha.

Like its been stated before, dont buy online until you have gone to store and checked it out.I think that the Xti takes good pictures and everything, but i dont like the lay out and it feels very cheap. I have a D40x and love it. The only down side is that it takes a spefic type of lens, not the standard nikon AF lenses

So far, my short list includes the Nikon D40x, the Rebel XTi, and the A200. Since it sounds like the A200 will take my lenses, I'm leaning towards the Alpha.

If you get a Nikon, hold out for the D60....your lense selection on the D40 is somewhat limited...( as opposed to the D80 ) the D60 is replacing the 40, sould have nice upgrades and still fit your budget with a nice kit lense

If you get a Nikon, hold out for the D60....your lense selection on the D40 is somewhat limited...( as opposed to the D80 ) the D60 is replacing the 40, sould have nice upgrades and still fit your budget with a nice kit lense

The D60 is the same as D40 in terms of lens compatibility. D60 still does not have focus motor in the body.

D40 plus kit lens can be had for under $500 USD.

well THE a200 YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED BY! It's pretty much a smaller A700. The main complaint I had with the a100 was the focus moder was slow but it's perfect on the a700 and the a200 has the same motor as the a700. The # 1 feature that you should be comparing against the other 2 cameras is the lack of (SSS) Shooting side by side with a XTI I was able to shoot 4 stops faster with the SSS than the xti. Which when I tried in low lighting to shoot every picture was blurry shooting.even comparing clarity and color between the 2 you can see major differences! My sister want to get rid of her xti after shooting with my A100 She can't believe the difference, and neither can I!!

The A200 is only US$700 with an 18-70mm lens which is the A200K and then US$900 for the 18-70mm and 75-300mm which is the A200W. I really, really want the A200(W) but I'm too young for a job and don't get money so often so I'll have to save every penny but then my uncle told me not to sap too much money from my account. (I only have like $400 in my savings.)

You could find an A100 for dirt cheap now. I heard it was a very noisy on high ISO levels but I'd say after trying it out, it's a good camera. As said, your Minolta lenses would work fine on any Sony DSLR. You could go for just a camera body for much less money. It might be hard to find an A200 body alone but you could easily find the A100.

All Sony DSLR cameras have Eye-Start Autofocus and a few have Grip-Start autofocus for your sports. Super SteadyShot for your sports but also your handheld portraits. The baseline for megapixels is 10.2 so you'll quality prints if needed. For landscapes, the A200 and I think all other Sony DSLR's have Dynamic Range Optimizer for more contrast.

More on the A200, it has 3fps, approx. 750 shots a charge, and an optional vertical grip that adds 1500 more shots if you have two more batteries.

Sorry Canon fans, I don't know much about your cameras. :E

More on the A200, it has 3fps, approx. 750 shots a charge, and an optional vertical grip that adds 1500 more shots if you have two more batteries.

Sorry Canon fans, I don't know much about your cameras. :E
Not to mention it will shoot that until you run out of memory. Not just 3fps like the competitors. And the Dro is not so much for contrast but it completely changes the entire look of the picture in comparisons with and without it, the picture without looks darker, more shadows, less sharper,and less brilliant colors. On the A100 I didn't see much of a difference but the A700 and 200 they are dramatic changes!

You say you have a "full manual Minolta film SLR". Bottom line if it's a manual focus camera / lens ,they (the lenses) won't work on a Sony DSLR. They have to be auto focus Maxxum / Dynax lenses. ( "A" mount )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back