Haunted Hotel?

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the infamous Baker Hotel, located in Mineral Wells, Texas. I have been wanting to shoot here forever, but it is about an hour from me. I finally got a bride that wants to make that one of her locations we are going to shoot at, so I wanted to go check it out before to make sure it was safe enough, etc. Supposedly it is haunted and there are homeless that live there. It is also condemned, but the front porch and balcony are not blocked off, so photographers love to go shoot there.

These are my friends, Paul & Ursula that agreed to go with me. Paul is a cop, so it certainly made me feel better when I saw it was obvious that there were homesless in the near vicinity due to mattresses, etc. laying about.

DSC_0435.jpg

LMH_8860.jpg

LMH_8867.jpg

LMH_8873.jpg

LMH_8927.jpg

LMH_8951.jpg

LMH_8956.jpg

You were quite lucky to not get arrested while you were at the Baker - espescially during that bridge shot. An investment group purchased the hotel about 3 months ago with the idea of renovating it. Since that time, the Mineral Wells P.D. has been very active in handing out tresspassing, and criminal tresspassing charges to anyone who gets close to the property. The mattress that you saw on the front porch has been there for years now, and does not belong to anyone. Homeless people used to squat in some of the rooms, say, 5 years ago, but due to the recent surge of interest in "Urban Exploration" and all of the exposure the building has seen, it's sort of turned into hot spot for kids, historians, and photographers to break into. Myself being the ladder.

I'm in no way a professional, but for what it's worth, I think the shots look great - just be safe!

Last edited:
Yes, we knew we were at risk on the bridge shot. I was actually the one standing outside while my couple went back there but finally I couldn't resist the bridge shot, so I jumped back there and grabbed a couple shots and told them I wanted to get the heck out of there.

We actually had a cop pass by while we were on the unblocked balcony and either he didn't see us or didn't care. When I take my client that wants to shoot there (these were my friends), we won't be going in the back of the property, but I don't see the big deal in shooting along the steps. If they don't want anyone there, they should block the front of the building. I realize it is still private property though, but what photographer can resist??

The fisheyed one is definitely my favourite. It just adds such a great effect to the building. Also loving the bridge shot.

Out of curiosity, do you think it's worth the money to buy lens JUST for fisheye shots? I've been contemplating... gah. I just don't know how often I'd use it, etc, etc. I love the effect though!

By the way, I had heard it had been purchased, but there was a big sign that said it was for sale?

Yeah, that sign has been up for awhile. The realty company just probably hasn't taken it down yet. The last time I was there, a police officer was handcuffing a guy in his early 20's for being on the bridge. I had to sit tight in the Baker kitchen for an extra 30 minutes while they finished up :lol:

There's some really good abandoned spots in Ft. Worth. If you're interested you can take a look at a few of them on my Flickr - www.flickr.com/liquorhead Most of my shots are highly edited and most people hate them, but oh well... at least it might give you some ideas of other locations ;)

The fisheyed one is definitely my favourite. It just adds such a great effect to the building. Also loving the bridge shot.

Out of curiosity, do you think it's worth the money to buy lens JUST for fisheye shots? I've been contemplating... gah. I just don't know how often I'd use it, etc, etc. I love the effect though!

The fisheye was at the bottom of my list for purchases. I've always wanted one, but I know it has limited use. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it :) I bought it for weddings primarily to do shots of the back of the ceremony and reception shots and it did awesome! Some of them in this post use it: Wedding & Portrait & Photographer: Lyncca Harvey, serving Dallas / Fort Worth / Waco / Austin / San Antonio / Houston
The fisheye is totally awesome. Love the building's architecture.
Thanks :) I have quite a few others with the fisheye from this shoot too.

By the way, I had heard it had been purchased, but there was a big sign that said it was for sale?

Yeah, that sign has been up for awhile. The realty company just probably hasn't taken it down yet. The last time I was there, a police officer was handcuffing a guy in his early 20's for being on the bridge. I had to sit tight in the Baker kitchen for an extra 30 minutes while they finished up :lol:

There's some really good abandoned spots in Ft. Worth. If you're interested you can take a look at a few of them on my Flickr - www.flickr.com/liquorhead Most of my shots are highly edited and most people hate them, but oh well... at least it might give you some ideas of other locations ;)

Poor kid :) Funny that the real culprit was inside watching :lol: I loved looking through your galleries. Yea, some serious processing there, but I still liked quite a few of your shots. :)

I love, love, love, love the bridge shot!!! Awesome location!

I would edit out the railing in the bottom right of the photo, though, as it is distracting.

You could even edit out the couple and sell posters of that print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back