Have 3 original EF lenses from early 90's, taken good care of...wondering which camera I should get.

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by TimmyD11, Jul 20, 2017.

1. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have 3 original EF lenses from early 90's, taken good care of...wondering which camera I should get.

The lenses are:

Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8

Canon EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5

Canon EF 70-210mm 1:4

I've been away from photography for a while and things have changed and gotten interesting...but too many choices rattles me!

My options seem to be use lenses AND newer lenses with a new DSLR...but there are probably 10 good DSLR's by Canon between $600 and $1200 and I don't know if I need the more expensive ones (I like the creative filters idea and the handheld in camera HDR, but which ones have that and which ones don't?)

Should I sell lenses and go smaller, micro four thirds / mirrorless? Seems like if you don't go huge with prints you can get results as good as APS-C and full frame...while cutting your weight and cost down by half?

By the way, my passion is the great outdoors, hiking, backpacking, mindblowing mountains and forests...so landscapes and occasionally wildlife will be my primary interest.

Thanks.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    For the three Canon EF lenses that you currently have, I would suggest full-frame cameras only.

Canon 5D Classic...$395 or so here in this town, used....a solid imager!
    Canon 6D...solid picture-maker. $795 or so here, used, locally, all the time. VERY nice image sensor in it, good low-light AF on the central AF point.

I would not suggest a Canon APS-C camera (crop-sensor) for the three lenses you already own...those are for full-frame angles of view, and will be adequate on the above two cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Correct me if I'm wrong, they would just be more "telephoto" no? If I add a 15mm (or so) lens I should be covered at the wider end.

I'm not thrilled with buying used, and full frame is probably outside my budget.

So should I go APS-C DSLR or the new technology (mirrorless)?

4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    no.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    More telephoto...that's one way of looking at it, yes, but that's a gross oversimplification. THe 28-105 will no longer be the wide-to-tele it once was. The 70-210 will be too long for family events. The 85 will be very narrow, and useless indoors.

6. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 28 to 105 isn't prime lens quality obviously but it still sufficiently covers often used focal lengths, correct?

The 70 to 210 now multiplied by 1.6 could become a fair to good big game wildlife lens in the mountains, no?

Add a prime lens somewhere in the 15 to 20mm range and i shouldn't be in a terrible situation, no?

Admittedly I have been out of the game for a long time so if anyone has a good argument for why I may be looking at this wrong I am all ears.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No may be the answer but it should be accompanied with a good argument for why it's not a good compromise if I don't want used full frame and cannot afford new.

8. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bueller?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Braineak often seems to be a man of few words... I think he and Derrel are trying to tell you that APS-C or 4/3rds etc. won't be the best option with your lenses for landscapes, etc.

I've bought used plenty from reputable dealers - KEH, Adorama used dept., etc. Might be a better option to get used, and buy what would work best for what you want to be able to shoot.

Sometimes these things can snowball, if these lenses don't do well for wildlife on a smaller 4/3rds or whatever then you need to get lenses for the camera body you bought, and then that still isn't working out so then you need to get a full frame and new lenses for that.... and you would have been better off keeping it simple from the get go. You can always start with a used body for the lenses you have now and then trade in/sell and upgrade at some point down the road.

10. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let's expand this discussion on the pros and cons of using these lenses on a Canon APS-C DSLR so that I can be fully convinced that it's not a good idea.

I realize there is no landscape lens among the lenses I currently own, I understand that the first lens I will have to get will have to be something like a 15mm - X zoom if I am going to try to do landscapes with an APS-C DSLR.

And that 15mm - X will probably also cover the portrait / people lens range as well on an APS-C DSLR camera.

So then, will my good (good, not bad, not great) 70 to 210mm become a good 112 to 336mm telephoto lens? What will it's shortcomings be?

I don't think I'd like to buy used.

I don't think I want to go as expensive, heavy or large as a full frame DSLR.

So that leaves a beginner or enthusiast DSLR.

Or mirrorless.

And I recently learned that the Sony A6300 has an APS-C sensor.......................................

Does that mean a mirrorless Sony can be as good or better than a Canon APS-C DSLR?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Almost everything on the market is better than a Canon aps-c. Those lens will suit a ff beautifully, there's no reason you shouldn't look at a used 5d or 6d to couple them with.

You will lose auto focus if you go with anything else for them.

Knowing Canon those might not even mount on a aps-c...

12. Jamesaz

Jamesaz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Just a thought: get hold of ae1 or rebel film body, shoot a roll of film and see if you like the result with those lenses. Maybe that can help you decide. I've had a 5D since they came out and have no complaints. Good reliable workhorse camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk