Have 3 original EF lenses from early 90's, taken good care of...wondering which camera I should get.

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by TimmyD11, Jul 20, 2017.

1. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are EF lenses, they'll mount and work.

And are Canon APS-C DSLR's so bad? Many get good reviews.

And if I go mirroress I'll sell lenses and start over completely.

2. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The lenses were fine with my EOS A2 before I broke a dial and just moved on to other hobbies.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The part I bolded is my thinking as well, and of course, I recommended a used $395 Canon 5D, or a used $795 Canon 6D: two fine cameras, with good performance. Dan Ostergren does amazing work with the "old and outdated" Canon 5D. I have a 5D, and shot it for five years..it has a good sensor for its era, and it's the RIGHT sized sensor for the lens set the OP currently has under discussion.

Sony makes the best-performing sensors now, for FF and APS-C cameras. Period. Mounting 1990's AF Canon lenses ona mirorless camera...ehhh...a LOT will be lost, like the convenience and sureness of Canon EF lenses on a Canon full-frame camera designed FOR THE lenses you have.

RE: 28-105's optics...it will be fine on a Canon 5D, which is 12.8 megapixels...it will be FINE on those big, huge, low-density pixels! APS-C at 18 to 24 megapixels demands MORE, and better lens performance than the 5D at 12.8 or the 6D at 20.2 megapixels...the bigger sensor performs BETTER with "average" lenses than the tiny APS-C sensor will.

If you're afraid to buy a used 5D or 6D, I get that. But don't expect Clinton-era lenses like the 28-105 to be all that good or very handy on a 1.6x crop-frame camera.

Look...I've been shooting d-slrs since 2001 with 1.5x and 1.6x Canon and FX Canon and FX Nikon, and have used 1990's era lenses...even used a 28-105 Nikon on FX...a VERY handy lens--on a full-frame camera! Lenses on APS-C never really do translate perfectly to what they were designed to be when you throw away half of the image area. Last week I bought a $29.95 1990's Tokina 70-210 f/4~5.6, and on FULL-frame Nikon D610, it is a SOLID poerformer, and useful for what it was designed to be...a short to medium-long telephoto, with an f/4 to f/5.6 max aperture. Which means to leverage that slow lens, I needed to pair it with a large sensor that is good in LOW-light, and right now, Canon is weak(ish) in low light and in higher ISO levels on all their APS-C cameras. Your 28-105 is also slow...so, again...I told you the 5D and 6D are solid imagers, because they can be shot at ISO levels of 1,000 or 1,250 for the 5D, and much higher for the 6D...not so with Canon APS-C sensor cameras with slooooooow lenses.

The 85/1.8 EF is a SOLID lens. Owned it. GOOD, no, damned good lens, on any sensor size.

A Canon 5D or a Canon 6D is almost the same, exact size and weight as a Canon 1.6x body...

You ALREADY OWN an entire, complete, useful full-frame lens set. My suggestion is 1)Either get a FF Canon, or 2)sell all the stuff and buy the right, new, modern, AF lenses for a Sony mirrorless. Or 3)buy a Nikon D3400, 18-55 AF-P VR and 70-300 AF-P VR two-lens kit and be very amazed. I'm outta' here.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about the 6D if I decide to stretch my budget?

5. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And why would I be "amazed" at a base level Nikon DSLR with an APS-C sensor but not amazed by a Canon 80D or T6s?

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    TWO words describe it all."ISO invariance."

Sensor technology in Nikon,Pentax,and Sony camerras is advanced, ahead of where Canon's home-brewed sensor technology is. How so?

"ISO invariance" is what Nikon has, what Sony has, and what Pentax has, and what Canon lacks. Severly.

ISO invariance means that with a new,modern, state-of-the-art sensored Nikon APS-C camera, you can under-expose to a high degree, to protect highlights from over-exposure OR to get a fast shutter spoeed in sucky light conditions, and then, later, in software, you can "lift the shadows" to a huge degree--all without horrible noise in the shadow areas. And I mean on 4-,and 5-stop shadow lifts. THIS is what is ****amazing****. THIS is what Nikon, and Sony, and Pentax, have developed, with sensors made by Sony AND also, by Nikon. Sony builds sensors on steppers made by Nikon, and has for years.

Canon sensors OTOH, have a long way to go. ISO Invariant cameras like the Nikon D7200 are amazing. So is the full-frame D610's sensor. In simple terms...Nikon APS-C sensors can recover HORRIBLY under-exposed shots in software, with little penalty. Not so with Canon's older sensor technology.

Sony Alpha 7R II: Real-world ISO invariance study

The Nikon D600 has a VASTLY superior sensor than the Canon 5D Mark III, which came out priced around $3,499. WHY? ISO invariance on the D610 makes it a simply astounding imager, in a low-cost, serious enthusiast's body. Far better than the older-tech 5D-III.

Canon's 6D is a first step toward catching up to Sony, circa 2009. But Canon's APS-C sensors are still far from state-of-the-art, like Nikon's D3400 and D5400 have.

7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Much as I respect Derrel and Braineack's opinions I'm going to disagree on this one. Yes, there are benefits from going to a full frame and I understand where they are coming from in that these lenses were made to work with that format. Yes, fast glass can be good, but if your primary subject is landscapes you are going to want to be at f8-f16 anyway most of the time, and you'll generally want to be shooting from a tripod for landscapes so shutter speed is the thing that you can leverage to get good quality shots.

if you want a wide there's the Canon EFS 10-18mm STM wich is cheap but performs really well which would sit nicely with the lenses you already have.

It's true that the Nikons have slightly more dynamic range and are ISO invariant but for landscape photography as long as you take care with your exposure there is not a huge difference for most (empasis on most) people. For really good landscape photography you'll need the light to be right anyway.

I'd say keep way from in camera instagramish filters and get some half decent PP software.

Really great landscapes are much more about the right lighting and the right location.

8. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why has Canon allowed themselves to be so far behind?

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    When you're the sales leader, there's no real incentive to improve your products...just to maintain the status quo, and keep churning out those clever Canon television and magazine advertisements.

"The Canon AE-1: so advanced, it's simple."THE TV slogan that made Canon a force to be reckoned with! Canon used TV advertising to become a HUGE market force in the mid- and late-1970's. Marketing is a big thing for them. They KNOW how to market products to huge, mass audiences. Nikon and Sony suck at marketing! Canon was a major early adopter of prime-time TV camwera commercials, and knows that advertising is a huge factor is sales. Nikon's ads have been laughable!

SONY spent hundreds and hundreds of millions of Yen to develop new sensor fabrication technology, in an effort to develop sensors for SALE to other camera makers, and for their own use... SONY bought Konica-Minolta's camera IP and patents and tried to gain a place in the Japanese camera industry after decades in consumer electronics...Sony needed an inside anglke, and they develpoped one with HUGE investment in sensor fabrication and design...Canon? Nope, too busy maintiaining sales position to decide to challenge the other players. Smart for Canon corporate and shareholders.

Canon has a nice photocopier division. Nikon is the last mostly image-making company left in Japan: the industry has been compacted/decimated/consolidated over the last few decades. Nikon is an old-line optical and camera company...and is small...Canon is HUGE....Sony is HUGE.

Canon's goal has been to maintain its #1 camera sales lead position, for years...Canon re-used the same crappy 18-MP sensor in five sequential Canon d-slrs over more than half a decade....Nikon and Sony could not coast on their laurels the same way....they HAVE to try harder...Canon did not want to invest hundred of millions of Yen to make better sensors: it makes MORE sense to spend the money on advertising, promotion, and R&D for lenses and other accessories, as long as the sales come in, it doesn't matter to Canon corporate nor to Canon shareholders if their sensors are state-of-the art and class-leading, or below that, as long as the sales stay high, that's the critical factor. AND the industry is not an expanding one, so...stay the course, keep the ads cranking, keep the prices competitive, and do not spend hundreds of millions of Yen if the #1 sales position stays at #1. Simple, right?

Sony OTOH...spent heavily on sensor R&D, on fabs, and now can SELL these key pieces to Nikon,Pentax, Fuji, Hasselblad, and to other, industrial users of sensors (CCTV, industrial imaging sensor rigs, etc) AND ALSO use them in its OWN bid to enter the high-end camera and video markets in an industry where MANY buyers are very tech-savvy. When you are brand-new to a business, you have to have an edge, and angle, a business plan. When you are small, you need an edge.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  10. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Perhaps, maybe people will drop $1000 to $2000 on a camera and lenses, without doing their homework, and let name recognition being the deciding factor, but I won't. Does Canon know they are getting their asses kicked? Because if you read real people reviews of their cameras...they seem to still like their Canon cameras - they haven't gotten the word that they are inferior to something else they could have gotten for the same price? But that makes me wonder: Is the consumer clueless? Do these poor results only show up in laboratories and not in real world uses?

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    MOST users will not switch brands. So, it doesn't matter to the large user base if the competition has something better; until you've actually bought and used a superior system, you never really know what you are missing, and many people get along just fine with less. Ford makes a nice family sedan. Does Mercedes make a nicer family sedan?

Fanboys can convince themselves that what they have is plenty good, and that there is nothing else better on the market. McDonald's and Walmart are huge sales forces in the "restaurant" and "retail store" businesses; are they the best of their kind?

12. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

No bad PR in photo magazines showing Canon getting destroyed by the competition, if not necessarily the sales?