Have 3 original EF lenses from early 90's, taken good care of...wondering which camera I should get.

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by TimmyD11, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nikon would be just as far behind if they weren't smart and used Toshiba and Sony sensors instead of developing their own and letting them age on the market for over ten years like Canon did.

they've improved some, but they cant hold a fiddle, still, to today's newer market contenders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And once you're invested in Canon lenses, it's hard to just switch to Nikon or alike, so users are just going to stick with it, and pretend that blacks should be purple.

Everything Canon puts out on the market, Nikon calls and raises with a direct competitor that typically does everything a little better.

IMHO, I still think both are behind the times about 5 years and are both still resting on laurels and will fall eventually to Sony/Fuji/etc who are innovating and improving and will be too far behind the curve to catch up.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So you were saying that Canon sensors are very inferior to Nikon and I think Sony. Has this changed with these newer Canon DSLR's? I understand there are improved sensors in the T7i / 77D / 80D.

Any Canon almost as good as the Nikon D7200, which seems to be the best APSC camera before the leap to full frame?

I'm considering one of those 3 cameras...unless I splurge a little more and go full frame...or do something entirely different like mirrorless APSC. ;)

3. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    They have improved a bit so far as I've seen. But having an ISO invariant sensor is fantastic when you miss the exposure and need to recover.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And if ISO invariant is good Canon hasn't made theirs that way because?

5. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    they were market leaders and didnt have to. once you buy into a brand, it's expensive to switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alright but now that THAT can of worms has been opened they didn't make it a priority to at least match that technology?

And if not HOW are these new sensors an improvement over previous ones?

7. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And if you take over a dozen pictures of anything worth photographing? What's the odds of not getting at least one exposure right?

Seems like a nice feature but if I am going to photograph something I go a little overboard...I'm probably going to have something to work with and not requiring something like that (I'd have to really have goofed to need that feature, no?)

8. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    it's good to have an ISO invariant sensor as you can do more things in one frame. With canon sensors to get a similar quality in the shadows you'd need to shoot a few more exposures and combine that will a good HDR techniqe like luminance masking.

So it makes workflow a bit easier, especially when the dynamic range is pushed or you eff up a shot and underexpose by mistake (especially useful for holiday shots and candids).

9. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So Canon, even with their new sensors in their new cameras, are still lagging behind competitors in a big way?

I'm torn between finding this hard to believe and asking how they are letting this happen.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You apparently do not fully grasp what an ISO invariant sensor allows one to do. It is not just a matter of getting the exposure correct; it is the ability to deliberately under exposed by pne, two, three, or four or five EV in order to build shutter speed if needed in dim lighting and to then brighten the exposure in software, later. Please look at the above example photographs of what a Canon 5D series full frame can do; it is so far behind what a Nikon D600 or D610 can do for 2,000 fewer dollars. I cannot help you understand why a market leader would not improve its products when it's competition has improved so tremendously. Two of us have told you that Canon neglected to improve its sensor technology level for over a decade, because they were in a market leading position and there was no incentive to markedly improve their sensor technology levels. Nikon went outside of its own company to procure the best sensors possible. Canon stuck with its own, home-grown and inferior sensor technology. This is about technology and at times, market leaders do not have the best technology--but they DO have a sales leadership position.

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    IMG_6755.JPG

12. TimmyD11

TimmyD11 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Derrel I have read in magazines that the T7, 77D and 80D have newer and improved sensors. I was wondering if these have made a difference or if they are still lagging even with their new sensors.

I was just wondering if YOU ESPECIALLY were factoring in their newer cameras in your critique of Canon and their sensors.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017