have a question

lunaaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
which is better,to turn a photo into B&W in the phase of post processing or originally shoot it in B&W,what is the different between both methods?

If you are shooting in RAW, no difference. You can make your B&W back to color again later. But if you are shooting in JPG, you are stuck with B&W. So either way you should shoot in color in my opinion and shooting in RAW is the preferable.

In camera, all you can make is a JPEG greyscale photo, not a B&W photo.

They are not the same.

By making a B&W image from a color image in post processing, you have way more control over the contrast and tonal balance of the image.

As an example in Photoshop CS there is a B&W adjustment layer that allows you to adjust how the tonal quality of 6 colors is rendered in the final image. At the least in Photoshop one can adjust each of the RGB color channels to make a B&W.

In the days of film photographers were careful to not only choose the film they used based on how it rendered contrast, but they also put colored filters on the lens to do essentially the same thing pre process.

The main goal in making a nice B&W image is contrast control.

I guess the only thing I can see about shooting in Black and White is if you're learning composition. Some people may disagree, but I find that the lack of color lets me focus on the composition better. But like others have said, shoot in color, post-process the B&W afterwards....great question by the way nchips1!

thanks everyone for the comments you cleared it up for me. i'll shoot in color and turn any photo into B&W in pp.

Most reactions

Back