Have about $300 to spend, can't decide on a lighting setup

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have about $300 to spend on a good lighting setup but I still haven't decided on what exactly I want to get. I'm mainly going to be using this equipment in the field such as the beach as well as in the "studio" (my extra room). I've been told that strobes are the way to go for studio work, but since I'll be using these outside a lot I don't want to go through the hassle of bringing a power supply or using cords so I'm thinking using SB-600's (my budget can't afford Sb-800s). I'm thinking of two umbrellas, two stands and two Sb-600's for my lighting set-up (I already have one SB-600). Let me know what you guys think, I'm just kind of brainstorming.

BTW I don't mind buying used equipment and I probably will buy a lot of the gear used.

i love my SB600 and would def buy another one if i wanted to expand my lighting right now. i think it;s a great option for portable light. :thumbup:

what body do you have?

i love my SB600 and would def buy another one if i wanted to expand my lighting right now. i think it;s a great option for portable light. :thumbup:

what body do you have?

I'm shooting with a D90.

that should be fine.

Look at the strobist.com site for more hardware choices. MPEX.Com has a strobist section and I hear their lumapro stands are cheaper and a little heavier duty than the manfrotto nano. They also may umbrella mounts and "super clamps".

WOW mike!
i bookmarked the page...that;s awesome!

You can pick up a 2nd used flash if you decide to go with a wireless set up. Can get a nice strong flash like a SB28 (SB28DX), or SB80 (SB80DX). They can be had for $100 to $125 lately if you watch. Can also pick up a new off brand flash in that range. If you go wireless with Cactus V2's or V4's or similar, you will be in manual mode on the flashes anyway so having them absolutely compatable with the new ITTL is not necessary. This way you get a good strong flash that can be used as a main flash over the SB600 without paying $450 for a SB900.

You can pick up a Cactus V4's set and a 2nd reciever for about $60-70. Then pick up a couple stands, umbrella's or boxes. Will need a couple sand bags if you shoot outside and there is a little wind. Can be done for $300. :thumbup:

Don't overlook used. I picked up a used SB-80DX for $50 and a SB-25 for $30 bucks Canadian (I pickup the SB-25 tomorrow).

The SB-80DX is a true workhorse, I use it on a lightstand triggered by a PW and for every wedding it gets an additional 1000-1100 flashes of usage. Usually at 1/4 to 1/8th power, but it has not let me down in 3 weddings yet. It's already paid for itself as far as I am concerned.

About the SB-600s just be aware that they do not have anintegrated sync port and you will need a hot shoe adapter with sync cord if you are doing the "strobist" thing... or use CLS, which is fine, but you will find out it's limitations pretty quickly as you learn.

EDIT:
LOL@ benhasajeep, I did not notice your post until after I entered mine. There are lots of good deals, but I still cannot find that new SB-800 in a box for 20 bucks yet... lol

Oh, and about those sandbags... my mom made me 2 large ones and 2 smaller ones herself and I will get the sand tomorrow... we have enough material to make 2 more bigger ones, but I want to see how these do before deciding on the size of the final 2. DIY sandbags... $5 in material and whatever the sand costs me tomorrow... gotta be less than store bought ones, and they're more fun becuase they look unique to me. :D

Last edited:
About the SB-600s just be aware that they do not have anintegrated sync port and you will need a hot shoe adapter with sync cord if you are doing the "strobist" thing... or use CLS, which is fine, but you will find out it's limitations pretty quickly as you learn.

Does this mean I can't use the SB-600's with strobes unless I have a cord to connect them? I also don't know what CLS is, so you'll have to give me a brief explanation if you don't mind.

So it sounds like if I use Sb-600s as my lights, I can't use them wireless but with the SB-800s I can? Is this correct?

CLS is creative Lighting System. Nikon's way of using the camera flash to trigger a remote strobe like a SB-600. You can use this but the range is limited as is reliability.

The SB-600 has no other connector on it except the bottom of the foot, called the male end of the hot show connection. This means that if you use something like a Cactus wireless trigger/receiver, there is NOTHING to connect it to and for it to work, you need an adapter... one of these:

0069_390.jpg

This connector above screws to your lightstand, the flash slides in, the wire connects to the receiver and works.

Other flashes like SB-800, SB-80DX or SB-25s have these connectors built in and do not require this adapter, just a sync wire to connect from the receiver to the flash.

No biggie.

If using CLS, and your camera supports it, you do not need the adapter or sync cables, but there are those limitations I was speaking about.

For more info on CLS, feel free to do a search here and/or read your camera manual.

CLS is creative Lighting System. Nikon's way of using the camera flash to trigger a remote strobe like a SB-600. You can use this but the range is limited as is reliability.

The SB-600 has no other connector on it except the bottom of the foot, called the male end of the hot show connection. This means that if you use something like a Cactus wireless trigger/receiver, there is NOTHING to connect it to and for it to work, you need an adapter... one of these:

0069_390.jpg

This connector above screws to your lightstand, the flash slides in, the wire connects to the receiver and works.

Other flashes like SB-800, SB-80DX or SB-25s have these connectors built in and do not require this adapter, just a sync wire to connect from the receiver to the flash.

No biggie.

If using CLS, and your camera supports it, you do not need the adapter or sync cables, but there are those limitations I was speaking about.

For more info on CLS, feel free to do a search here and/or read your camera manual.

So in other words, in order to trigger the flash off camera without using the CLS, I'll need to purchase one of those receivers?

Last edited:
One trigger on your camera and a receiver on every flash, yes

Seriously, go to the www.strobist.com website and look for the lighting 101 link... grab yourself a coffee and start reading. :)

Nikon CLS is Nikon's wireless system. Your camera and current flash are compatiable to it. It does have limits. It is light signal based. So the sensor in the flash body has to point towards the camera sensor. The head of the flash swivels left and right so that is no big issue. You point the sensor towards the camera and turn the flash head the direction you want the light to go. You can make flash adjustments from the camera. You don't have to go back and forth to make adjustments. But becasue it's light based it has limited range and angle of placement. Also can have no obstructions between the camera and flash sensors. SB600, SB800, and SB900's are compatiable (also SB-R200's).

Radio triggers / recievers allows more options for placement of the lights. The inexpensive ones have less range and you have to make adjustments at the flash. More expensive one's allow longer range and adjustments at the camera mounted transmitter. But price goes up big time for those units.

The extra items Jerry listed are due to the height of the recievers in the Cactus V2's. They are tall recievers and if your shooting into an unbrella the flash is much higher from the umbrella centerline (not so bad unless you have small umbrellas). The V4's as I mentioned are much shorter. And only raise the flash up about 1" or so. The V4's also have more range out of the box. The V2's can be modified to have longer range by adding an antenna (Jerry has a write up on that). But in my opinion the Cactus V4's are very useable right out of the box with no extra cords and such needed (they include cords if you want to use them though). But not all flashes have the cord sockets (SB600's do not). Many of Nikons older top of the line flashes do have the sockets (new one's too, SB800/900's). With the wireless triggers you can use just about any flash (even other brands).

Now since you have a D90 and a SB600. You can go wireless right now. You have to put the camera in commander mode, and the flash in remote mode. You can make flash adjustments from the camera. You are limited in range and angle. About 33' straight ahead and getting less in distance as you angle out to the side. You are limited to about 30 degrees left and right of the lens centerline for flash placement. There is a diagram in your camera and flash manual on placement.

So you could pick up another SB600 and use 2 of them using the camera's wireless system. And get a couple stands, a couple flash / umbrella holders, and some light modifiers, umbrellas, boxes, etc. But that will put you over your $300.

I suggested the Castuc V4's and a used SB28 or SB80 (or the DX models) used as they are nice powerful lights. The Cactus V4's will allow a larger option of placement and not worry about having to be at a certain distance or angle. Also price wise you should be able to get a used flash, a couple stands, a couple flash holders, and a Cactus V4 set (1 transmitter and 1 reciever) and 1 extra reciever. For your $300 budget.

You don't have to get a Nikon flash either. I just mentioned the 2 above because they are Nikons older top of the line flashes and have high power. But you could even get and use an off brand flash or like I said even another brands flash.

I have 2 SB80DX's, 3 SB-600's, 1 SB-50DX, 1 Sunpak 4000, a Canon 420EX and they all work with the Cactus V4's. The only flashes I have that don't work with them are my SB-R200's as they are Nikon CLS only flashes (don't have a hot shoe or sync port).

Most reactions

Back