Have lens, (may) need camera. Help?

Middlemarch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foothills.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought this lens. I bought it because it said it fits Ricoh cameras. Well, it seems my Ricoh is dying. It was given to me recently, and as I explain on another thread, it's not playing well with brand new batteries. Also, the person who gave it to me just explained, "Yeah, I had some problems with it as well." Well, thanks for letting me know.

So, I have a lens on the way and need a compatible camera, as it seems the one I have is on its way out.

Here are the things I am sure about:

1. I want to go with all-manual. I want to learn the classic way. Also, I am a sucker for simplicity. If, after several months, I am still 'into' this hobby, I may upgrade, but for now, I want to keep it simple. I want to practice and make lots of mistakes while figuring out aperture and other cool things. However, I would not be against auto-loading, auto-advance, and auto-rewind. I just don't want to be tempted with auto-exposure or auto-focus.

2. I am interested in taking photos of two things: nature, from close-ups to landscapes, and b+w portraits. (A friend said the lens I bought -- a 70-210mm Tokina -- would work well for the nature shots.)

It is my very limited understanding that this lens is a k-mount. It will work with Pentax k1000, km, etc., as stated in the eBay description, right? I have read very good things about the k1000 and km.

Here are a few I am looking at:

ME
K1000, 1
K1000, 2
KX

Any thoughts? WILL these models be compatible w/my newly purchased lens? Is one better than the others, or are they pretty much equal? That is, do they have very similar features? Also, it looks like the $50-75 range is the going rate. Is this a fair price?

Thanks!

MM

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would definitely consider the K1000, a workhorse.

I'd certainly agree with Mitica on the K1000, I don't think anyone has a bad word to say against them. As I understand it the KM is more or less the same, but gives you Depth of Field Preview. Since you say you want to learn the "classic way" I get the impression you like the 'classic look', but if you don't mind black (or dark grey) and aren't put off by the odd bit of (very solid) plastic, I'd recommend the P30, P30T or P30N. They're manual but give you the opportunity of aperture priority or auto-exposure should you ever need it. Slight disclaimer: I will use any opportunity whatsoever to plug these cameras, so don't take my view as being even slightly objective :D P.s. they'll be cheaper than the K1000, since everyone wants a K1000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back