Have some money blow, Please Help me on what new lens to get.

CAP

FPS GRU
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i have about 2100 dollars i want spend and i am stuck on what kind of lens to buy.

Here are my choices that i have narrowed it down too.

So i would like a good prime lens and i am stuck between these 3 lenses

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Now i have used this lens before and i love it for landscapes. But could i also use it for portraits is studio or one set, as i have no problem cropping.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM or Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Now i have never used ether of theses lenses before but i hear and read they are both great and i think the 85mm would be great for wedding portraits but i am worried it would be too close, But yet i still think the 50mm would be fine and is kinda in the middle but i am just not sure on the two.

OR
[h=1]Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM + Canon extender 1.4x III[/h] So the reason i would get the 400mm is it would be nice to have a super telephoto that is very light compared to my 300mm 2.8 and i do a lot of long treks for 5-10 miles and times and need a light lens.

Your help in deciding on witch lens to get would be greatly appreciated as i am stuck bouncing between these setup ideas and cant make up my mind as i would like be have a lens not just for portraits but general use random photos or a light tele combo.

Honestly it sounds like at a practical working level you need something between 35mm and 70mm in your line-up. So that pushes toward the 50 and 85mm lenses. Note that from what I've heard the 50mm f1.2 L is a very good lens, but at a practical level the f1.4 version is generally more than enough. Indeed the razor thin f1.2 depth of field is something rarely used due to how tricky it can be (esp with a 3D subject like people faces at events). Sigma make a very good and newer design 50mm f1.4 that generally beats Canon's so that is one to consider if 50mm is in your scopes.

the wide prime sounds like something fun but not essential and you've already got the range covered - the 400mm is really your choice on if the convenience is enough for you on price.

I would say go for the 85mm. It's very sharp lens. 50mm can be soft at larger apertures. My copy only goes sharp around 1.8 and above. The new sigma 50mm is heard to be very sharp even at 1.4

What do you NEED more? What would help take your WORK to the next level? If anything

Most reactions

Back