Have two 40Ds want to upgrade: 5D, 7D or 1D MKIIn?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by dracalud, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dracalud

dracalud TPF Noob!

Hey All,
    I am a newbie to DSLR photography. Started taking pics of my son playing paintball. Got advice from one of the top paintball photographers. On his advice, I got the 40D with 70-200mm 2.8 lens. Now, almost a year later, I have two 40D bodies and have added some awesome lenses. I am also starting to shoot portraits, headshots, fashion, and events. Would love to start shooting weddings. I also do indoor sports, theater performances, concerts etc. Though I started shooting 90% paintball and 10% other stuff - now I shoot 50% paintball and 50% other stuff.
    Ideally, I am thinking about upgrading one of my 40D bodies and keeping the other as a backup to whatever I buy.
    OH - and I have the following lenses: 16-35mm mkII, 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 70-200mm 2.8 (my fave!) and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye (on the way ) - seemed like a fun lens to have for paintball!
    I need your expert help and advice. Here are my questions:
    Should I buy a friend's 5D classic for $1100 and keep both 40Ds?
    Should I buy a used 1D MK IIn and keep one 40D as back up?
    Should I buy a 7D and keep one 40D as a back up?
    Just keep my double 40D set up for now and save for my son's college? : )
    I welcome and appreciate any and ALL advice, suggestions, etc.
    Thanks so much for your help.

2. kangta13

kangta13 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I came from two 40ds.. Recommend the 5dmkii.. It's great lowlight, image quality blows away the 40d, n the full frame sensor makes crop shots more usable. Problem I'll have it's lacking as a sports camera, not fast enough, and ai servo on the 5d is not the greatest, camera is perfect for weddings. Gl buying

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I would suggest getting a full frame body, like your buddy's 5D classic, so that you will have the kind of framing choices,working distances, and depth of field behavior that FF d-slrs are known for. The 5D classic makes nice images,and the price of $1,100 is fair I think, as long as the camera has not been shot really heavily. Your current lens collection is well-suited to a FF body.

4. dracalud

dracalud TPF Noob!

Hi guys!

WOW, thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I would like to spend around $1000 or less on either upgrading or adding to my camera body arsenal. I wish that I had the bank to unload on a 5D MKII. Wouldn't that be a great one to have! I'll have to save up for that.

I welcome more advice! Thanks everyone.