have u ever sold a photographic image?

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i've been submitting our stuff (doxx and i) to galleries ... basically just to show our work, we got a few people interested .... some of the galleries sale the images ... most of the time the photographer sets the price ...

i've been browsing online, viewing prices photographer's set ... some on the high side, some on the lower side ... i need to conversate with a photographer who is willing to speak candidly about pricing ... i know most of the books say, "set a price that your comfortable with." ... that doesnt help me much ...

have u ever sold a photographic image? .... if so, for how much? ... if u have experience with this or otherwise, please feel free to pm me or post it here... :D

My advice is - figure out how much your time, expenses ect added up, add in what you feel is a good price for your time $50 $100 per hour?
The market where you live can be key - if it's a gallery piece how much do similar pieces go for. Unfortunatley there is no magic price, just don't short change yourself. :)

Try not to underestimate the value of your own work; you need to get out of it at least what you put into it (blood, sweat, tears, supplies, time, etc...).

Also, I have heard a theory that most folks don't know art anyway(and aren't smart enough just to buy what they like), and make quality judgements based on price, so your price may actually affect peoples' perception of your work.

If I were to sell a BW hand printed photo by itself, no frame or matting included, I charge $30 for an 8x10, $60 for an 11x14, and $120 for a 16x20. I've found that it's easier to sell a photo when it's matted and framed, so I usually just do it. So you have to add in the time/supplies that matting and framing use. I do my own work so I figure in supply cost and an hourly wage. Framed (black aluminum) and double matted I charge $90 for an 8x10 (11x14 frame). It depends on the frame and glass for the price of the larger prints.

I've had a number of people tell me that this is too cheap. But I live in the midwest, and frankly, it's hard to sell art of any kind. At $90 I am making money to support my habit so I'm happy. Also, I like the idea that some of the students, etc.. can actually afford my photos (I see many 8x10 prints marked at $250).

I say think up your ideal price you would like ot get paid for the photograph. and add in or best offer. Then take the best offer, or if its not high enough claim theres a higher one.

but then again don't forget I have no experience at all in this arena

I recently did an Art Walk out in Los Angeles. Not a lot of interest in photography in general, but I sold a few small things. Price was definitely a factor for people. My prices were about the same as ksmattfish's, but were slightly more simply because I had included frames. If I had dropped the price I would have moved more stuff definitely. The important thing, I think (and frankly this is pure speculation since I have hardly sold anything to date) is to take into account how much it cost you to produce it, printing, personal time, etc.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Most reactions

Back