Have you noticed the increase # of ppl with dSLR cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by a1157814a, Jan 26, 2009.

1. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

I don't know if it is just me, but when I go to places like the sporting events, the beach, and just like... other cool places, I've seen so many more people with dSLR cameras then few years back. (maybe because they have become more affordable? or it's just gaining popularity?) Most of them just seem to be taking snapshots though.

2. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes, it is about lower price and marketing.

Film SLR's used to be very expensive ... then manufacture's started producing budget SLR's so that the average person could afford it ... and most importantly ... use them (remember the Canon AE-1P commercials with Stevie Wonder).

3. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I live in a somewhat more afluent community than average, so it's gotten REALLY bad here. They're like gnats. I went to a local memorial day parade thing and I swear every third person had one... and I even saw quite a few of the higher end ones.

4. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

Lol, I know right. Some of those people should just get a higher end P&S because they're just as good if they are just gonna shoot it on AUTO for every picture.. lol

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    what I sometimes do is just look what their camera is set to, most likely AUTO lol. And than I see them staring at me taking pictures and trying to shhot the same thing. And when they try to shoot it they look at their screen and not their head and see their fingers going to the delete button. lol

6. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, I shoot in Auto ... and I also secretly shoot what you do ... hmmm.:mrgreen:

( I delete when I get home ):lol:

7. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
    I know someone got the 5700mm lens off of ebay lol. I'm in NY buddy hehe

8. MiaS13

MiaS13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lmao..it happens to me at the mall, on my lunch break i like to walk around and just randomly shoot **** and i see EVERYONE has an SLR around their necks, and a fanny pack. lmao

9. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
    I don't go to malls lol. I should make them look at me through their viewfinders and I'll have my 70-300 on at 300 and just stare back at them without movin. They'll probobly just leave lol

10. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

This is why carrying a manual 35mm SLR in these situations is fun. No one notices you, or the people who do scoff at you because their D300 with 18-55mm kit lens has zoom AND automatic mode (I must just be a moron, right?).

If you really want to fly under the poseur radar, grab a TLR. Or a Holga. You'll get more interesting pictures than the DSLR yuppies anyway.

11. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am from Chattanooga, and fluently commute between Here (Atlanta) and there, and between the two cities, I know of 9 people who have dSLR's. The D40 seems to be the most popular among all of them. 5 of them own D40's, 2 (including myself) own D60's, one owns a D300, and One owns a D50.

It's amazing, I am always the subject of conversation when I go out. Lots of people ask me questions about the camera.

12. Bigpopa

Bigpopa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So let me get this right you all think that you have to be at a certain level before you can buy a DSLR . What gives you all the right to judge other people I garantee none of you are pro's or even semi pro yet you people make me laugh...................:lmao: