have you tried light paintings?

wait for the sun to set, open the shutter and wave a flashlight at the subject. always seemed kind of gimmicky to me for anything serious, but might be fun to try out.

If your camera doesn't have a T setting you can get a remote from China that will do it for about 20 bucks. T (for Time) is like B for (Bulb) except that it works like a "push-on/push-off" switch.

wait for the sun to set, open the shutter and wave a flashlight at the subject. always seemed kind of gimmicky to me for anything serious, but might be fun to try out.

If your camera doesn't have a T setting you can get a remote from China that will do it for about 20 bucks. T (for Time) is like B for (Bulb) except that it works like a "push-on/push-off" switch.
Thanks......I will try that.

ps. I like your signature. But why do you feel that way?

I have Eric's book. Good stuff!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I did a fair bit of light painting in the mid-1980's, using a Vivitar 285HV flsh unit and a Quantum brand external lead-acid battery, which allowed me to do really FAST, multi-pop flashes, to light larger building facades with multiple flash pops. I worked almost exclusively at f/8, with ISO 100 speed Kodak Ektachrome slide film in a Nikon FE-2. One of the handier things about using flash as opposed to continuous light is that, in the dark, you can literally see the "pattern" or "spread" of the light, from the center out to the edges, so you get a pretty rapid, mental picture, an image if you will, of where the light has hit. After a bit of practice, you develop a pretty good ability to aim the flash so as to be able to to produce a pretty uniform wash of light over a scene with say 10, or 15, or 20 pops of flash.

One thing to keep in mind, from my experience, on many buildings, I think it's much easier to turn the flash "sideways", since the beam is taller than it is wide; with the flash sideways, the beam is taller than it is wide, and it seems easier to me to paint from right-to-left, and also to paint with the beam "tall-ways". The 285 HV flash has only three zoom positions, which is fine, and makes it easy to develop a feel for the beam spread pretty easily. Also, keeping the f/stop at f/8 adds consistency, as does using the same ISO level. I like f/8 at night.

Watching the video Buckster posted is pretty cool. It's better to do it that way. Reminds me of how modern 3d animation lighting is done. (still not a fan of Curry, but an interesting approach)

I'll do it sometimes when shooting milky way nightscapes, but it can be really difficult to do it correctly and have it look natural.

This was done with his technique:
i-xzvF7kb-L.jpg

So was this:
i-tPpZHnP-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back