Haven't been able to get out since I got my new lenses for Christams...and I'm BORED!

Obviously I was taking these because I was bored at 1AM...but the more I look at them I think I could make something out of the concept of the second one (the bible). Anyone have any ideas about how I could make a shot like that more interesting? What would be a better context for it, like maybe on a desk? Would a different angle give it a better look, how bout positioning?

-tim

Not to be rude, but why don't you try the things you are asking about? It's your photography, it's your voice. What do you want to convey with the image. What do you find interesting about the subject? I could give you suggestions, and I am sure others will give you suggestions, but then it is not your idea. Ultimately, what will you learn?

Have you ever heard the saying "Give a man a fish..."?

I understand what you are saying. However, in my experience sometimes other's ideas can inspire your own. Don't photographers look at other photographer's pictures for ideas? That's all I'm asking. I'm new to this so sometimes I get an idea then I make it my own, but hearing other's thoughts sometimes just get the juices flowing...

-tim

But you asked yourself the right questions, you need to go try them out for yourself and see what you come up with.

Yes people look at other people work for inspiration. Look at what others are doing and try to replicate it. That's a great way to learn.

Ok, you want ideas for your bible shot?

You can make some huge impact taking a picture of it in a toilet, as the water swirls the pages. Or take a picture of it using it as kindling to start a fire. Put it in the street and photograph car tires running over it. Shred it and put it in a litter box and wait for a cat...

Want me to keep going?

But you asked yourself the right questions, you need to go try them out for yourself and see what you come up with.

Yes people look at other people work for inspiration. Look at what others are doing and try to replicate it. That's a great way to learn.

You can make some huge impact taking a picture of it in a toilet, as the water swirls the pages. Or take a picture of it using it as kindling to start a fire. Put it in the street and photograph car tires running over it. Shred it and put it in a litter box and wait for a cat...

Want me to keep going?

There's trying to help and being a smart...

Thanks

-tim

I like #2 - "the Word" excellent for everyday reading brother! way to go!

...and there's rejecting help.

You are just taking pictures of objects. That's great.
Look at other artists work. How did they use the light and why? Does it convey a mood? Visual artist do things for a reason. Artists are trying to get some point across. They use all the tools available to them to do so, and use them when they are appropriate. That's what you need to learn from looking at other people's images.

You asked for ideas, I give you some, and you reject them. Why? Do they go against your sensibilities? They didn't make you think about your subject and what YOU want to say about it? You obviously don't like what MY ideas have to say, do you?

Get it?
Think!

...and there's rejecting help.

You are just taking pictures of objects. That's great.
Look at other artists work. How did they use the light and why? Does it convey a mood? Visual artist do things for a reason. Artists are trying to get some point across. They use all the tools available to them to do so, and use them when they are appropriate. That's what you need to learn from looking at other people's images.

You asked for ideas, I give you some, and you reject them. Why? Do they go against your sensibilities? They didn't make you think about your subject and what YOU want to say about it? You obviously don't like what MY ideas have to say, do you?

Get it?
Think!

Dude, I got it when you said it. You were saying something that would offend me to get me to see that it was the point of view of the person behind the lens who should get THEIR message across.

I don't reject advice, I reject being given advice like I'm a 3rd grader who needs a dramatic visualization to see a point. Speak to me like an adult who you think can see a point during the course of a normal conversation and I may be receptive to it.

-tim

Then you should have communicated that in your reply instead of telling me I was just being "smart".

4229916131_7dd623efc2_b.jpg

-tim

Want me to keep going?
One could agree that your suggestions would make an impact to both, viewers that enjoy the subject and to those that don't. Your ideas are quite interesting yet one sided.

Now I believe that a true artisan of their craft whether it be photography, oil painting, or what ever, has the ability to present their subject matter in more than one light. Would you be able to do that?

Want me to keep going?

Your user name suites you well.

Any C&C on the re-shoot? I added the glasses and the starbucks to show that it's something that's recently been in use

-tim

Most reactions

Back