Haven't posted in a while, anyone wanna C&C?

Stilltime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I took some pictures of my sister's dog. She had a new baby and they're working on hard on not letting her end up displaced because of the new baby so I thought I'd take a few photos and get some prints done as a house warming present (they've built a new house that is ready in September).

Personally, I'm really happy with how they come out, but I'd love to get some feedback from people who aren't emotionally connected to the photos, you know?

Anyway, here are my fave three:

13of15-2.jpg

Kinda centered, I know, but the flowers are beautiful, so I kept them. :p She just looks so content to sit with her nose in the air and enjoy the sun. She's such an awesome pocket dog (this coming from a big dog person.)

5of15-2.jpg

2of15-2.jpg

Sniffing the flowers. So coot.

Hard to critique on what appears to be all very well taken photos.. i guess adding some creative angles would be cool though..
Joe

get a high pass filter on a second layer of that second picture, mask so only the eyes are sharper and you got a winner. i can almost imagine that one framed and on a wall. ohhh but try to crop uot the flowers on the top right corner.

get a high pass filter on a second layer of that second picture, mask so only the eyes are sharper and you got a winner. i can almost imagine that one framed and on a wall. ohhh but try to crop uot the flowers on the top right corner.

The orange flowers in the corner? I never noticed them until you mentioned it, and yeah, now they are distracting. Nice catch, thanks.

Can I try sharpening just the eyes in lightroom with the brush tool, or are you talking about something totally different. I sucketh in photoshop. :blushing:

never used lightroom... but i guess you can use that too. just be sure not to over do it and get hallows. also sharpen all the details that give traits to the face. like nose, lips. this also applies to human portraits too. the technique i was telling you about is great cause it lets you chose which traits you get sharpened. you can also apply unsharpen mask on a layer and do the same, but for some reason i read that unsharpen mask doesnt work well with layers.

btw i'm a big dog person too. i have a rottweiler. this makes me wanna take pictures of him. ill be sure to do that when i get home. gotta find some setting cause flowers dont work with big menacing dogs.

Ok, I cropped out the big flower and quickly cloned out the other one because I didn't like that tight of a crop. I could probably do a better job, but I can tell I already like it without the orange flowers right above her head.

I also used the sharpness brush and I'm not sure I really see a big difference. I think photoshop would be better for that so I'll play with that tomorrow.

retouch1of1.jpg

That second edit is really good. I'd do the same for the other two...crop in tighter to the subject.

That second edit is really good. I'd do the same for the other two...crop in tighter to the subject.

But, but... won't someone think about the FLOWERS?? :lol:

Ok, I'll try it.

But, but... won't someone think about the FLOWERS?? :lol:
What's the main subject here? The dog or the flowers?

Uh.. is this a trick question?

I'm just teasing. The dog is, of course, BUT, the flowers just look so darn purdy. Anyway, here are the tighter crops with some sharpness brushing on the eyes and stuff. Still not noticing a huge difference with that, but I have to be up early so I'll try it with photoshop tomorrow.

retouch1of1-3.jpg

retouch1of1-2.jpg

sharpness is a matter of detail. you might not notice it, but put them aside and you will see. if there is no difference you should sharpen more

Most reactions

Back