Having a Camera and a Website

Go for it. IF you have been serious for 8 years then you should know whats what. My point I was trying to make was that those mediocre people usually have inadequate equipment for the job they shoot. I do not care what Kockwell says.. a D40 is not a good camera for some one making money. You need at least a d90 level on up. The diff with you is you have learned and basically apprenticed with some one. That is what you should do. Or go to school.
^^ haha, I've also gone to school. haha. granted, the program i went too (minored in that is) wasn't all that awesome. I made the very best I could out of it but our instructor seriously hated photography and wanted to teach graphic design instead. haha. Not to say I learned much about graphic design.

Ben...
It's called BiG Camera :) and ability to sell bull ****.
I do agree with you though. However, didn't we cover this topic last year? ;)

I do not care what Kockwell says.. a D40 is not a good camera for some one making money. You need at least a d90 level on up.

I agree.. it is however a wonderful camera to learn on, if you use it to its potential. (i.e., get it off the auto mode, read the friggin manual and practice). Once you feel comfortable enough to start charging for gigs and starting a business, hopefully you've realized that you need more than what the D40 can give you... hopefully...

Just to throw this out there, seeing as I have been photographing seriously for eight years, do you think it's wrong for someone like me who has finally started getting a paying gig here and there for whatever reason that I shouldn't? From my understanding I have to claim taxes and such if I make a thousand dollars or more, and this past year, I didn't, so I'm safe there. But this year is already turning into a more productive year and I will probably have to pay taxes next year on this years income from my photography. I personally understand that I will be putting 30% of my earnings away in a savings account so tax time doesn't come as a surprise and I should be covered.
I agree that every John or Joan out there with a d40 or P&S camera shouldn't be starting up businesses necessarily but someone like myself, who has suddenly gotten to a point where I am comfortable charging SOMETHING for my services should. Right?
I guess that's what I'm getting at is approached carefully and with some help I've had from a more seasoned professional photographer I think someone in my position has no other option but to just do it. ya know? I might be blabbering, sorry.
And I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong here, I was more just curious as to people's thoughts on this.

Hi, I'm glad you responded, and I'm also happy that you have an up and coming business.

I don't know if you have state sales taxes in your area, but if you do, regardless of what you charge, even under a grand, you have to pay that portion to the state. A lot of people confuse state and federal.
Wishing you all the best this year. I'm glad things are looking up!

If I was giving advice, I would at least do some Q.A. on the post to make sure I was coming off the right way ;)

So shoot a question my way. If I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm sure I will have tons of people tell me so.

Ben...
It's called BiG Camera :) and ability to sell bull ****.
I do agree with you though. However, didn't we cover this topic last year? ;)

I just love you.
I didn't cover it last year, but I'm sure some other pro did.

I do not care what Kockwell says.. a D40 is not a good camera for some one making money. You need at least a d90 level on up.

I consider that a blanket statement that isn't necessarily true at all. The D40 is plenty capable, and light years ahead of what some 'pro' cameras were years ago.

2 years ago it was 'you need at least a D80 level on up', in two years it will be what?

It really depends on what you are shooting... and how, as well as who you ask. You can get roughly 8-10 D40's for the cost of one D700, so at this point I don't see the 'build quality' argument since it could be replaced or have 2-3 spares and still be ahead of the game. If you talk off camera lighting, it seems most pros aren't using the built in abilities some Nikon's have but more likely to use Cybersyncs, or the like.

But this has been argued to fatigue many times I'm sure. :)

Last edited:
Want to know how to make a small fortune in photography? Start with a large fortune!

If your thinking about starting a business the odds are against you. 95% of all new business startups fail within the first year, and of the 5% that make it the first year 90% of them fail within 5 years.

One small word of advice, the ability to take great pictures is only the tip of the iceberg! It won't guarantee your success. I've seen many of really awful prints delivered by very successful studios. Some say salesmanship or marketing skills out weight artistic ability 100 to 1.

I consider that a blanket statement that isn't necessarily true at all. The D40 is plenty capable, and light years ahead of what some 'pro' cameras were years ago.

2 years ago it was 'you need at least a D80 level on up', in two years it will be what?

It really depends on what you are shooting... and how, as well as who you ask. You can get roughly 8-10 D40's for the cost of one D700, so at this point I don't see the 'build quality' argument since it could be replaced or have 2-3 spares and still be ahead of the game. If you talk off camera lighting, it seems most pros aren't using the built in abilities some Nikon's have but more likely to use Cybersyncs, or the like.

But this has been argued to fatigue many times I'm sure. :)

Agreed. It's not alway the camera. A crapload of my port is from a 20D.

Want to know how to make a small fortune in photography? Start with a large fortune!

If your thinking about starting a business the odds are against you. 95% of all new business startups fail within the first year, and of the 5% that make it the first year 90% of them fail within 5 years.

One small word of advice, the ability to take great pictures is only the tip of the iceberg! It won't guarantee your success. I've seen many of really awful prints delivered by very successful studios. Some say salesmanship or marketing skills out weight artistic ability 100 to 1.

Ok, I wanted to go off on your post, because I don't want to discourage peeps, but in the end I agree.

Facts are facts. But if people would LISTEN they could do it. But they don't.

Regarding sales. You can be the bestie photog ever. If you can't sell your work, then you aren't the whole pizza, right? You will not book. Things don't end when you take the best photo ever. That is the beginning.

Having a camera and a website does NOT make you a professional photographer. Being PROFESSIONAL makes you a professional photographer.
I disagree. I have a camera AND a website and I AM a professional. I take amazing pictures. People like my mom and other family members remind me every day just how amazing I am.

I bet if push came to shove, I could take a cooler picture than you could.

I'm here to take you up on your offer. What should we shoot? Ready to go. And please, no flower shots. I'm sure you have something better.

I know your mom loves your photos. I'm sure you are totally awesome, like your mom says.

Most reactions

Back