Having a devil of a time with a Nikkor micro lens.

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bought a used Nikkor 60mm macro lens and having a terrible time with it. Of course, no instruction manual. On manual, the camera doesn't let me do what I want and on AF the sharpness isn't there. Can anyone help?

I've also got the 60mm AF Micro Nikkor lens. I almost never use the AF feature as it is much easier to focus manually or even by moving camera/tripod in and out. I've got a macro focusing rail on my wish list for B'day or X'mas.

What problems are you having? When shooting close ups I've found I have to use a tripod. It's almost impossible to get a decent shot handheld. Another factor is you almost have to use at least f16 or better for any kind of DOF. Again, necessitating a tripod.

I guess my problem is my D70 won't let me shoot manually. It keeps giving me an error message.

That makes even less sense, really. :D Which error message is it giving? I know that with the macro I have at work, as well as my 50mm, if I don't have the apeture ring set on 32 or 22, it gives me the EE message or I have to shoot in manual. If it's a focusing thing, you may have to flip the switch on the front to M so it doesn't try to focus.

hobbes28 said:
That makes even less sense, really. :D Which error message is it giving? I know that with the macro I have at work, as well as my 50mm, if I don't have the apeture ring set on 32 or 22, it gives me the EE message or I have to shoot in manual. If it's a focusing thing, you may have to flip the switch on the front to M so it doesn't try to focus.

Everything is set to manual. Still I get the EE message in the viewfinder.

Most reactions

Back