Having issues removing a virus, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Restomage, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Restomage

Restomage No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a virus on my computer that is disguising itself as an anti-virus software and the program they are trying to pass off is called "Vista Guardian". It's a virus that continues to pop up a window saying my computer is infected and that I need to purchase additional software to remove the virus. I've had something very similar to this before and was able to remove it successfully with Malwarebytes however I've done a few scans with this and Ad-Aware with no success. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    System restore normally works if you haven't had it for too long. What web browser are you using?

3. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well go to the start bar
    Open up your web browser
    Then to google
    search apple.com
    open the first hit
    add an imac to the shopping cart
    go through check out
    wait for package to arrive

Jk

but seriously

4. o hey tyler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And then you have a computer that you paid too much for...? Cool story bro. Lets keep the discussion to actually figuring out what is wrong with their computer instead of recommending the more costly and less useful route.

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Malawarebytes (which you have tried) and Microsoft Security Essentials are two great tools. AdAware and Spybot are too common these days.

Can you boot up in Safe Mode and try running Malaware and MS Essentials? Might have more luck finding something that way.

Is the virus linked to your web browser? Which are you using? Try using a different one. Firefox and Chrome are good options for IE

6. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont have any issues with the second part of the statement, but its the first part that had me giggling

7. Restomage

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the responses.

To the smart ones I have a Macbook so thank you, the computer with the issue is my custom pc.

I only run Firefox, never Internet explorer so I'm surprised my Firefox didn't catch any sort of threat, I've only had issues with IE.

I updated Malwarebytes and did another quick scan and it found 4 threats so I deleted them and restarted the computer and so far everything is looking good! I'll see how it runs and keep everyone updated.

8. o hey tyler

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's weird, because I just checked apple.com for the lowest priced iMac, and it's $400 more than a Dell with roughly the same specs.

9. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good job dude. How old are you? Your site looks pretty legit and your avatar doesnt look like your older then 20. You have a flickr?

I loled

Apple® - iMac® 3.06GHz with 21.5" Display
    Model: MB950LL/A | SKU: 9611523

Customer Reviews: 4.8

Dell - Inspiron Desktop with Intel® Pentium® Processor
    Model: I545-1125NBK | SKU: 9698836

Customer Reviews: 3.7

Sure, PC's are cheaper UP FRONT

10. Restomage

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for checkin out my site and yup I'm 20, good guess lol. I do have a flickr however ever since I got my website up and running I don't really use it much anymore but feel free to friend me: flickr.com/photos/seanlaraphotography

Looks like my PC is running fine now, no more popups or anything. Thanks for the help everyone!

11. williambarry

williambarry TPF Noob!

Mac fanboys stfu. PC fanboys stfu. Macs will see viruses within the next several years... I assure you. The only reason PC is infected more often now is because you target a virus to what has the biggest possibility to spread. The a pc is only cheaper upfront is a stupid argument. PCs are cheaper and if someone knows how to maintain and upgrade their own gear than prices are so much cheaper than buying the newest mac each year. Macs have won the majority share in gaming because the color calibration is generally as near to perfect as we have been able to achieve. In the end all you fanboy ****s are still just hiding behind plastice glass and metal arguing a pointless argument. Chicken or the egg? Who ****ing cares? They both taste good.

12. rallysman

rallysman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    QFTMFT

Seriously, do everything in safe mode. I've had malware that wouldn't allow me to open anything unless I opened it as I shut the malware down with task manager. Malwarebytes is a great tool, even better in safe mode.

Also, as put more delicately earlier....
    [​IMG]