Heres a few from Hawaii I haven't posted here

5385928328_13daef980b_b.jpg

5385722189_194e2c0606_z.jpg

5377512813_2408c2dc99_b.jpg

5377521415_c3dee72123_b.jpg

all the shots are processed with photomatix 4 and PP with lightroom 3

#1 is 5 shots at 1 stop bracket

All the others are 9 shots at 1 stop

Wow, I am impressed. Not the usual over saturated HDR. Very well done, I'd be proud to hang those on my walls!

Unbelievably spectacular!

#2 is just amazing!! What island were you on when you took these?

Thanks guys!

mishele - the first three are from maui on the beaches near kehei, the last shot is at queens bath in Kauai(one of my favorite places)

trever - With HDR the colors can become very rich and you get deep tones, but also they can get loud. If there is a strong color in the 0 exp, then when you stack multiple exps on each other it of course gets stronger. I often do selective color desaturation in LR3 to bring them back to reality. I have a feeling a lot of folks either leave saturation at 0 or bump it up after processing.

Is there anyway you could get me a link or post up some more of your shots on Kauai?!!! I'm going there in March. I would love to hear first hand from someone that was there where to get some excellent pictures!!!

Absolutely, positively BEAUTIFUL!
#2 really stands out as my favorite. Stunning!

Thanks for sharing.

thanks inaka

mishele - i didn't get to shoot much on Kauai. I was actually suppose to live there this winter. We got there and spent the first few weeks looking for a place to live and stuff. Right after finding a place we got news my wifes mom broke her back so we moved back to peru
I have been there 2 times now but the first time I wasn't into photography yet. heres a few photos of some places you should go. Not really good but gives you an idea

this was taken on my first trip with a point and shoot. This is the napali coast taken from a helicopter. I also did a hike on it and a boat ride that went along it. Its some of the most amazing scenery i have seen. I really recommend the heli ride it was something I won't forget. There is a handful of good companies and you should be able to find it online for 150 a person. If you just walk in they will ask for 250-350
2899861043_28f5e54d73_z.jpg

This is waimea canyon. Mark twain called it the grand canyon of kauai. Its crazy this small island has such a big canyon. Its on the west side of island
I really didn't get any shots I like of this place but if you catch it at the right time it can be a great place to shoot
5394143537_6c35285914_z.jpg

This is kokee state park. This view is at the end of the road that goes past the canyon. This view is stunning and there is lots of hiking along the ridges.
5394132693_2a2c095d75_z.jpg

this is queens bath the same place as pic #4 in first post. Its on the north shore which is my favorite part of the island
5373774713_3e2c4b6ce0_z.jpg

This is tunnels beach. My favorite beach. Views are great and the snorkeling is the best i found on the island. I would say going here and snorkeling is a must. I would go often in the afternoon and every time I would see atleast 5 sea turtles within arms reach. I also saw a monk seal right next to me. It was amazing
5394706556_78c1799b69_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!! Thanks so much for the pictures.....I think I'm more excited about the photography there then the actual hiking I'm going to do!!! Thanks again!! Any added tips about the island?

Most reactions

Back